Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing: First Time Debreif

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing: First Time Debreif

BACKGROUND:

I towed our 17" 3,200lb camper about 50 miles on Friday, and 50 mile back on Sunday.

For $250, I had lights hooked up and a trailer brake controller installed.

I do not (yet) have anti-sway bars, and I do not plan on having equalizer bars installed (manual says not to).

Friday was windy; Sunday was Calm.

I drove in 3rd gear going 60 most of the way, pushing 2,800 - 3,000 RPM. I put it in Sport mode going up a big hill, and it downshifted to push about 3,500RPMs.

COMMENTS:

The 2004 HSE with 4.6L did very, very nicely. The self-leveling suspension performed flawlessly, though I do need a 7 or 8 inch drop hitch to replace my 5.25". The camper rode slightly uphill.

The wind barely affected me, but I could definitely feel it when we'd reach a clearing.

I definitely felt that a sudden jerk of the wheel would have caused a very unstable vehicle. But, I could feel the ACE system correcting the wind / momemntum tilt- very cool.

Acceleration was a little slow, but once going 40mph, the vehicle handled the trailer almost effortlessly, with accelerations from 40-60 being very quick.

I was running 10w30 Mobile1 extended protection synthetic, and no temperature lights ever came on.

When a trailer light would come on (using blinkers or whatever), a little green light that looked like a trailer would appear on the dash, telling me that there was indeed a connection- very cool!

Since I was already driving in 3rd, hill did not cause the vehicle to work noticeably harder.

I did bump it down into "Drive" for a test a couple times, and it appeared to be okay... but I think the contact push/pull of the trailer caused the strain on the drive-train to increase. I decided to stick with 3rd, until on the Freeway. If my RPMs in drive could reach at least 2,600 RPM, then I would have no problem running in drive.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Winching

Oh Eff me in the A:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23151

I want those... Oh holy ballz, I want those bad.

Woot, ph@t 1337.... Can't wait.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Glad all went well for you Pat, do you know how to correct a severe sway situation?

If you do descide to try and use 4th gear when towing just keep in mind that with every little incline or anything else that requires more power because you are using all the horse power all ready the tranmission will down shift alot, to much shifting will overheat and wear out the trans.
If you are going across a flat state, like Nebraska then 4th should be fine, but just keep a ear out for how much the trans is shifting, the engine will run at 3500 rpm all day and night with no problems or other ill effects, but the trans is not so forgiving.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Winching

Really Phil?? 3,500RPM all day with no problems? That won't be hard on the engine???

WOW man, that is REALLY good to know!!

Phil- for when is your off-roading trip planned? I have remaining, at least a week (probably 2) of work on the trailer, and might be free by then! Maybe I could even bring the camper up.

Also: No, I don't know how to correct a swerve situation. My manly instinct tells me to give the engine hell to throw the trailer's weight behind the axles and cause more "pull" than "push", while giving the trailer brakes manually a tiny bit of tension.

So tell me- have I just caused a roll over, or did I keep my Mocha in the upright position?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

Nope, you didnt spill your cuppa-joe. A sway accures when there is slack in between the trailer and tow vehicle, take up the slack and all is good.
As for the trip...this Sunday, July 12th, we meet at my mom's cottage at 10am.
There are camp ground up there but I do not know where, we are driving up Sat. after I get home from work and then coming back home late Mon.
If you want it I will PM you the address so you can mapquest it.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

And remember, that these engines are the Chevy 350's of Europe, the prefered engine for building a race car or souping up your MG to smoke a BMW M3 off the line.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Winching

That is good news, Phil- I will store that reaction away in case of a sway.

Phil- would you like me to come? If my company would be a benefit to you guys, I would SOO love to be there. Camping would be good enough- Mandy will probably be painting any way.

Will you be bringing your wife, or will it be a men-only trip?

Let me know Phil, I do NOT want to impose...

Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Team Owner

Well you would be number 4, me, Princess and 99LRDisc.
Princess is bringing his wife and they are staying Sat night in *******, 99 is driving in on Sun.
This is a weekend trip to grandma's, no you wont be imposing, us off roading wont be hanging out at my mom's place, so no worries.
If Mandy is staying home then maybe you just want to drive up on Sun.
Melinda and the kids will be there with me but I dont know if they will be off roading too or hangin out at the pool.
You are always more than welcome.
I am sending you the address and my phone number just in case you lost it.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Winching

WOW, thanks Phil!!

Count me in for Sunday! What time should I arrive? I'll bet Mandy will definitely want to come- I just didn't want to be the only guy bringing his wife

She gets scared doing crazy stuff in vehicles, but she trusts me.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET .

I can HARDLY wait!!!!!! THANKS FOR THE INVITE, PHIL!!! W0000T!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Team Owner

10am Sunday July 12th, I PM'd you the address.
And no, its not going to be a sausage fest.

Quick Reply: Towing: First Time Debreif