Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track rod & tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default track rod & tie rods

I went to replace the rod ends on the track bar, and could not for the life of me get the ends out.

Took the ends off the spindle, loosened and removed the clamp, but could not get the ends off even with a 10" pipewrench and lots of PB Blaster on 'em.

Is that tube hollow? I wanted to remove it totally with both ends on it and put it in a vice, but was afraid of damaging it.

And if anyone needs them, D.A.P. sells rod ends,greasable, for $20/piece.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think they are hollow. Hammer?

Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They are heavy walled, but they are hollow. You won't crimp them. I had a time with mine. I got the drag link (front bar) with the ends already on, but re-built my track rod. It was a pain. Put grease on everything when you put it back together...

Old 10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Heat is your friend. Just not too much, you don't want to alter the temper of the tube. Tie rod end in the vice, pipe wrench on the tube.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by antichrist
Heat is your friend. Just not too much, you don't want to alter the temper of the tube. Tie rod end in the vice, pipe wrench on the tube.
Good idea, probably work better than my idea with the rod in the vice and pipe wrench on the rod end.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
They are heavy walled, but they are hollow. You won't crimp them. I had a time with mine. I got the drag link (front bar) with the ends already on, but re-built my track rod. It was a pain. Put grease on everything when you put it back together...
That must be why when the PO replaced the front one, he did the whole bar with the ends

Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It was actually cheaper. I needed a new drag link due to my PO tearing the crap out of the trcuk. I got it from the dealer, and they ordered it complete because it was cheaper to get.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I've done it. If you, take the bar out then put it in a vice. Heat it up a little but just at the ends then spray it with some PB blaster it takes a bit but it will come. Another trick is to heat it up and tighten it like a quarter of a turn. Then just count the turns off. Makes aligning it way easier.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

mine are frozen on there. i tried having an alignment done when i got new tires and i watched them using heat and they couldn't get them to budge. luckily the tires are pretty damn near straight frozen in place. but i don't know what i will do when i have to replace the tir rod ends

Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Get some Never Seeze

Then get some greaseable tie rod ends, and replace them, coating the threads liberally with the Never Seeze.
I wouldn't wait until the last minute and end up scrambling.

Quick Reply: track rod & tie rods