Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008 | 07:00 PM
|
4th Gear
Default Trailering

I have a 2000 Discovery Series II and when I trailer my boat the rear looks to me as if it is sagging a bit. Can anyone recommend the type of shocks I should install so it doesn't seem to sag so much.. Thanks

Old 10-20-2008 | 07:15 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Trailering

Do you have a 7 passenger / SLS truck? How much does the boat weigh and what kind of tounge weight are you at?

I have not towed anything with my D2 yet, but sure these answers will be needed to help.

I also have a question for the group: I have noticed a little trailer light on the dash indicating a tow mode. How do I get the truck to trip into tow-mode? I have installed the proper light harness from AtlanticBritish, but have not used it yet.

Old 10-20-2008 | 07:16 PM
Camel Trophy

How heavy is your trailer? These things can't take a whole lot, and the tounge weight is pretty low too. Check your owners manual and make sure you don't have too much on it.

That said, Firestone makes some air bags that you can use for assistance if needed. I take it you don't have air suspension?

Old 10-20-2008 | 07:19 PM
Team Owner

Just some heavy duty shocks. Old Man Emu are good off road shocks, Bilstien are top of the line all around shocks for on road and off road driving.
You can just go to NAPA and get some HD shocks from them.
I would also replace the fronts too, shocks need to be replaced in sets. You dont need HD for the front though.

Old 10-20-2008 | 07:22 PM
Team Owner

NW-are you talking about the little trailer that blinks once when you turn on the turn signal?
It will blink with the turn signal when a trailer is connected. If there is a fault with the trailerlights then thelittle trailerwill not blink.

Old 10-20-2008 | 07:41 PM
Mudding

Yep, the little green trailer symbol in the insturment cluster. I only have seen it during start-up, but like I said, have not towed anything yet. Figured the truck had a tow mode on it, like my Nissan Titan had, but could not find any switch for this mode.

Got the wire harness, but now I need something to tow..... wife's scared where this is going. Ha, Ha!

Old 10-20-2008 | 07:46 PM
Team Owner

Remember that you are driving a off road truck not a work truck like the Titan.
The only tow mode on your Disco is you putting the trans in 3rd gear when you tow. Which is exactly what your Nissan did when you put it into tow mode, it disabled overdrive.

Old 10-20-2008 | 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Air shock's will raise the rear. Normal shocks will not give you anymore lift. You could put some airbags inside the coil's.

Willie

Old 10-20-2008 | 07:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Or stiffer spring's But then you will have an even rougher ride when not loaded heavy.

Willie

Old 10-20-2008 | 08:02 PM
|
4th Gear

I am towing a 2640lb Grady-White. I think that translates to a 264lb tongue weight. I thought the Disco could tow up to 5500lbs. I am pretty sure I don't have air ride. I have out of coil shocks in the back. I want to replace all four. I'm assuming two air shocks in the back and regular ones for the front.

Quick Reply: Trailering