Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Solenoid - O4 DISCO

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Solenoid - O4 DISCO

Sorry in advance if this was covered in an other post but I could not find much information specific to the 2004 Disco II.

My High/Low gear selector is not moving from the right rear position, I've read the posts about lubing the linkage but from what I understand the 04 is cable actuated. I'm getting ready to troubleshoot this as I think it might be the solenoid that is keeping me from shifting the lever.

I found the procedures to remove & re-install the solenoid in the RAVE but I just wanted to confirm that if I remove the faulty solenoid it should enable me to shift the lever if that was the problem?

I don't want to order a solenoid if that is not the problem

Thanks in advance

Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You are correct, it is cable actuated. Also, on the 03 and 04, the solenoid is in the shifter, not in the transfer case.

Also, the automatic transmission needs to be in neutral, and you need to be nearly stationary (sometimes it won't go all the way into low if you are COMPLETELY stopped).

Old 09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Drifting

Thanks for your help Jafir... I'm a bit confused as the RAVE shows the procedures to remove the solenoid as 1. put the truck on ramps 2. remove / disconnect the cable then you can access the solenoid... this is for 03 MY and up

There is no mention of removing the shifter, I'm not trying to discredit your post... just a bit confused (and I've only owned a LR for 3 weeks now so pretty nOOb at this so far)

I'll do some poking around this weekend and try to move the shifter while in neutral and rolling at a very slow pace to see if that works

Old 09-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Tried the rolling in neutral and applying a bit of gas to shift and no go.

The solenoid adventure continues, well... begins on the weekend

Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

I'm looking at Rave, on page 41-40 and it shows a picture of the shifter, and lists the instructions for removing the solenoid on the "from 03 MY" section.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Drifting

Yepper's that is the section I was looking at as well, I guess it got me confused as to why I would have to raise the vehicle up on ramp if I'm going to remove this from under the shifter in the vehicle

I guess I have to get more used to reading the RAVE diagrams, thanks for your help Jafir

As mentioned previously, I'm pretty new at this vehicle

Old 09-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Mudding

We went through this with our 2003 Discovery. Also check to be sure your dash shows N and your gear selector is lit for N. Our XYZ switch was slightly off and the Transfer Case would not engage.

Realigned the XYZ switch (already replaced the Solenoid) and we were good to go.

2003 Discovery - High Miles Service complete - 122 K

Old 09-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by moncton_vw
Yepper's that is the section I was looking at as well, I guess it got me confused as to why I would have to raise the vehicle up on ramp if I'm going to remove this from under the shifter in the vehicle

I guess I have to get more used to reading the RAVE diagrams, thanks for your help Jafir

As mentioned previously, I'm pretty new at this vehicle
The part that talks about raising the vehicle on a ramp is under the heading "Up to 03 MY" which really means up to and including 02, but not MOST 03.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Drifting

Hahah... I noticed that this am when I printed out the RAVE sections, My bad !!!

Looks like a pretty big task to undertake, remove trim, remove shifter, remove prop shaft...

I'll need at least a 6 pack for this one, thanks Jafir

Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you do a utube search for installing a land rover CDL shifter, lucky8 has done a video which shows you exactly what and how to remove everything to get too you shifter and cable.you can probably find a kink to it on lucky 8 website, its not that much once you have seen it done.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Solenoid - O4 DISCO