Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Filter O-Ring Retainer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:27 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Transmission Filter O-Ring Retainer?

Need some feedback on whether I goofed my transmission filter change. I ordered the kit from Lucky8 with the filter, two o rings, and the pan gasket. Followed RAVE and forum advice and everything went as planned. Transmission works as before.

THE PROBLEM: When I removed the old filter, the large upper o ring remained on the transmission instead of coming off with the filter. When I went to pull it off, I realized it was seated on a cheapy looking clear round 'retainer'. The retainer came right out and looks almost like it had gotten hot and warped to some extent. It wouldn't go back in straight, and didn't seem OEM. I left it out when I reinstalled the filter. I haven't seen this piece in any writeups or in the RAVE.

Have any of you seen this? If no one has, I'll dig it out of my toolbox and take a picture later. Just want to make sure my transmission filter is sealing correctly and I'm not starving the transmission of fluid.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by naivedisco2
Need some feedback on whether I goofed my transmission filter change. I ordered the kit from Lucky8 with the filter, two o rings, and the pan gasket. Followed RAVE and forum advice and everything went as planned. Transmission works as before.

THE PROBLEM: When I removed the old filter, the large upper o ring remained on the transmission instead of coming off with the filter. When I went to pull it off, I realized it was seated on a cheapy looking clear round 'retainer'. The retainer came right out and looks almost like it had gotten hot and warped to some extent. It wouldn't go back in straight, and didn't seem OEM. I left it out when I reinstalled the filter. I haven't seen this piece in any writeups or in the RAVE.

Have any of you seen this? If no one has, I'll dig it out of my toolbox and take a picture later. Just want to make sure my transmission filter is sealing correctly and I'm not starving the transmission of fluid.
I have never seen any additional spigot on the filter area of the autobox. Check for codes and if none appear it should be OK. A photo would be good for identity.