Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission filter replacement with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default transmission filter replacement with pics

I didn't notice the 2 O rings which came with the filter kit until i had finished bolting everything back together, and there was no mention of them in other posts, THERE ARE 2 O-RINGS THAT COME WITH YOUR NEW FILTER, ONE GOES ON EACH SIDE OF THE NEW FILTER!! :+)

After draining the oil from the drain plug remove the 6 10mm bolts holding the oil pan on

Attached Thumbnails transmission filter replacement with pics-1.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Mudding

After removing the oil pan you will see the square oil filter, held on with 3 torx bolts, remove the two outer bolts first, then as you remove the 3rd bolt in the center, hold the filter and white pick up tube, remove the filter.

Attached Thumbnails transmission filter replacement with pics-2.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Mudding

place the 2 O-rings on the new filter

Attached Thumbnails transmission filter replacement with pics-6.jpg   transmission filter replacement with pics-7.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Mudding

Take the oil pick up tube off the old filter and put it on the new filter

Attached Thumbnails transmission filter replacement with pics-4.jpg   transmission filter replacement with pics-5.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Mudding

put the filter in it's final resting place and replace the 3 torx bolts

Attached Thumbnails transmission filter replacement with pics-8.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Mudding

My new gasket had been packed folded, which made it difficult to keep seated on the oil pan while fastening the bolts, it took me quite a while to get it right, but patience won!.
Snug the 6 bolts, then refill until oil drips out the fill plug hole.

replace fill plug, start engine, then with foot on the brake, move the gear lever into each position, holding it there for a few seconds in each position, go down the positions, then back up.

Shut off the engine then go back under and remove the fill plug again, top up with oil until it comes out the fill hole again. Replace fill plug, then start engine and go back through the gears again. Keep doing this until you can no longer put any oil in.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Mudding

My junk syphon pump did not work for replacing the oil, so in desperation, i found a 6' length of 3/8 copper fuel pipe, ran it through the engine compartment and bent it so it fit snugly into the fill hole, on the other end i affixed a small funnel, and was able to easily fill the transmission from the hood area, probably easier than with the correct oil pump....lucky for me walmart had sold out, saved a few bucks and made the job easier.

THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO GET THE OIL BACK IN THE TRANNY!!!!!!.....so have a long piece of pipe/hose handy.....or buy a pump before you start!...pump is under $8 at walmart....about $14 from advance.

When i filled the trans as full as i could, replace the fill plug and start the engine. Let the engine warm up, then move the shifter through each gear twice to allow the oil to circulate.
Go back under the car and with the engine still running (shifter in park) remove the fill plug again. you will be able to get another quart or 2 in.

Last edited by iownme; 06-05-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Mudding
Default Part number

Advance auto was able to order this for next day.
Came with the pan gasket and 2 O-rings for the filter. $19+tax
Part # FK 279

Old 04-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

is the one from Atlantic british for 45 dollars any better than one i can get at Advance Auto for 15-20 bucks?

and the gasket comes with the kit? no RTV needed, no leaks without RTV?

thanks for the writeup!

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9240.cfm

Last edited by RAYMAN975; 04-10-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Mudding

i can't imagine the AB filter is any different from any other, but if you have money to burn you might get 10% extra peace of mind :+)

yes...gasket comes with it. It is a thick rubber which fits over the lip of the pan.

Correct...do not use RTV...if you fit it correctly (takes some time) and don't overtighten those 10mm bolts it won't leak

Quick Reply: transmission filter replacement with pics