Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid change or wait until tanny flush?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:04 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Question Transmission fluid change or wait until tanny flush?

I just spent roughly $150 on new fluids, filter and specialized tools for an anticipated transmission and transfer case fluid change. Got the day off tomorrow and I want to get it done BUT after doing some research I wonder if I should just wait on doing the transmission seeing how draining the fluid from the pan only drains a couple quarts, leaving still many more deep in the tranny? One source says changing just a couple quarts of fluid defeats the purpose of a fluid change cause the new fluid mixes in with the old fluid which is already breaking down and no longer properly lubricating the gears. Ill be tight for money until after the holidays plus I dont know of many shops in the local area that actually carry a transmission flush machine so if I hold off on doing the fluid/filter change now, it could be a month or so before I can get the flush done. So what do you guys say? Change it now or wait until I have the money and available shop to perform a flush? Also Im wondering if the mixture of old and new tranny fluid will contaminate the new filter? If so should I replace again when I do get the flush performed or will this filter be alright?

Why do I want to change the fluids? Do they leak? Any cranking or grinding noises in the gears? Stuck in any gears? NO! Grant I do not know the current fluid level of either the tranny or transfer case but no known leaks, no grinding noises and not stuck in any gears. But the truck rides louder than I like while cruising on the highway and both shafts have already been serviced so. Plus Im at 134k and Im not sure when last these fluids were changed so I want to get it done and move on to the next projects. Ive heard good stories on here of owners changing the fluid/filter on their tranny and having improved road comfort and a quiter ride on the highway after doing the job. I already read the how to sticky for both the tranny and TC and purchased all the recommend fluids and tools for the job.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You could always drain it, fill it, drive it and repeat once or twice.

Then do the fluid and filter.

But honestly you'll be better off whatever you decide to do. Having some old fluid mixed with the new isn't a huge issue. It's just the nature of an automatic transmission.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine took allmost a full 3 gallons of amsoil tfluid just on a drain and refill I will likely flush it someday but at least I am making progress and the new fluid is top shelf

Old 12-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not flush, just drain and fill 2/3 times. There are too many horror stories about flushing transmissions and coincidentally they fail soon after. To me it wouldn't be worth the risk, a drain and fill is easy enough and cheaper than paying someone to flush it. $.02

Old 12-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Damn Julian, $150??? Why!? That's a lot for a job that shouldn't be over $100.

I agree with above, just take the pan and the filter off. I'd even leave it over night(inside) if you can. Then put the pan on, fill it, start the vehicle and let it idle. Shift through the gears a few times, fill until a 2mm bead is flowing and then put the fill plug back in.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:09 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Damn Julian, $150??? Why!? That's a lot for a job that shouldn't be over $100.

I agree with above, just take the pan and the filter off. I'd even leave it over night(inside) if you can. Then put the pan on, fill it, start the vehicle and let it idle. Shift through the gears a few times, fill until a 2mm bead is flowing and then put the fill plug back in.

Yes roughly $150. Filter kit from AB, fluids for both tranny and TC, hand pump, rtv, breaker bar, ratcheting wrenches, thread tape stuff?, fluid collection pan, carb cleaner etc price adds up quick! Cant believe how limited an inventory Autozone had regarding trans fluid and gear lub, plus they were expensive so I went to walmart instead.

Can you guys elaborate on the issues people are having after tranny flushes? Seems provocative because other sources highly recommend you perform a tranny flush to get all the old bad fluid out which lost its properties. I plan on contacting DAP Enterprise today about getting some codes looked at anyways and was gonna see how much they charge to do a tranny flush.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

tranny flushes are fine if you do them every 30-40k, your truck has 140k on it. so if it has not been none on a regular basis you run the chance of some of the swill breaking lose and ending up in your valve body, quite similar to pouring engine clean into your crank case odds are something is going to end up in the oil pick up.

Last edited by drowssap; 12-17-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Yes roughly $150. Filter kit from AB, fluids for both tranny and TC, hand pump, rtv, breaker bar, ratcheting wrenches, thread tape stuff?, fluid collection pan, carb cleaner etc price adds up quick! Cant believe how limited an inventory Autozone had regarding trans fluid and gear lub, plus they were expensive so I went to walmart instead.

Can you guys elaborate on the issues people are having after tranny flushes? Seems provocative because other sources highly recommend you perform a tranny flush to get all the old bad fluid out which lost its properties. I plan on contacting DAP Enterprise today about getting some codes looked at anyways and was gonna see how much they charge to do a tranny flush.
What do you need ratcheting wrenches and a breaker bar for?? carb cleaner? They're of no use down there. Just need an 8mm allen key, 1/2" socket, and whatever the drain plug is on the tranny.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
What do you need ratcheting wrenches and a breaker bar for?? carb cleaner? They're of no use down there. Just need an 8mm allen key, 1/2" socket, and whatever the drain plug is on the tranny.
Remember the "search" function? I used it and considered the troubles fellow forum members were having while doing the Transfer Case fluid change. And seeing how Ill be doing both at the same time plus I wanted a breaker bar anyways..... well just happened. Cant ever get a job working on Rovers if I dont have my own full tool set either so dont hurt to expand.

Regarding the Tranny, I cant say weather it has or how often its been flushed. All I know is that Land Rover has stamped the service manual for every scheduled service, the last one being at 90k. I'm not sure if tranny flushes are part of those services or not. I just dont want to neglect the tranny or anything else for that matter. But now Im at a crossroads. Dont want to damage anything either so........

Old 12-18-2013, 06:37 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

change the fluid and filter no need to power flush

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change or wait until tanny flush?