Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Play and Front Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:20 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Play and Front Drive Shaft

I have a 2000 DII that I recently removed the front drive shaft and engaged CDL (as I thought it was the source of vibration and wanted to ensure it didnt self-destruct) and have been driving for two weeks on the rear only shaft. However, I have noticed that while driving on rear only, I get play in the drive train .. ie if you let off the gas, you hear a clank and thud as the truck slows, and when you hit the gas again, you get the same clank and thud as the engine picks up the load.

So the question is, what do you suppose this could be? Is there perhaps something amiss in the transmission or transfer case or perhaps rear drive shaft spacer?

Unfortunately removing the front drive shaft didnt solve the vibration (so tires are getting down there, maybe that) but it did have a nice chunk missing right by one of the needle bearings, so going to replace it anyway. So 2nd question, where is the best place to get a replacement shaft, pretty sure you cant fix this one due to the missing chunk.

Thanks all.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Play and Front Drive Shaft

You can get that slop from either drive shaft when getting on and off the gas.
Check your rear roto flex to see if it is cracked.
By the way, did you get your front shaft fixed?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:56 PM
8th Gear

Thanks Mike ...

I have looked at the roto-flex, it looked OK, but perhaps I should just go ahead and replace, truck has 140k and doubtful it has been replaced to date.

On the front drive shaft, havent gotten it replaced yet, I may find a place to see if they can repair/rebuild the one I have, otherwise I will look for a new one .. if you have a suggestion for where to get a new one, that would be great. The good thing is that the one on it had grease zerks, but who knows how often they had been greased. Shaft looks in good shape other than a small chunk about 1/8 - 1/4 broken right at needle bearing. Dont know if it can be welded and then have the joints and bearings replaced, but a new one might simply be the better bet.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.roverlandparts.com/index.asp

Get a used shaft from here, cheaper than new. But first I would take your old one to a driveline shop and see if they can rebuild it. Might not be as bad as you think.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:46 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you noticed any MPG gains with the front shaft out?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 AM
8th Gear

I was wondering about increased MPG, but to tell you the truth, I havent tracked it since I removed the shaft. I will check it with next fill up and see. Since my normal is between 11 and 12 ... ahhhh ... and with $4 per gallon on its way .. might make sense to remove both shafts and push it to work

Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 AM
8th Gear

Here is a close-up of the broken area .... have a call into a drive train shop right now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9455/796EB48F2D4A4EC58E9D150DC6EE041D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

For the mileage, I would change the rotoflex. as for the drive shaft, I think you may be better off going to, http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

For about $320, they make a great drive shaft.

No, you don't get any better mileage on only one shaft, you are still dragging the second diff and all its drag.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Mudding

For what I paid when my driveshaft disentegrated...you can buy the nicest one Mike can find and still add a couple of gadgets to your truck...do what you may...but you'll save tons whichever solution you choose.

Shannon

Old 05-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a front drive shaft from Tom Woods and have been happy with it since. It seemed to be the best price I found and if they haven't changed the web site yet, you can get a shaft without the "plate" they used to sell and it is cheaper than the one listed

Quick Reply: Transmission Play and Front Drive Shaft