Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Transmission Service Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016 | 09:11 PM
|
Winching

Originally Posted by mx468
The only thing I would do first is remove the fill hole plug before you remove the drain plug if changing tranny oil or filter
...I'll second that, but only if you're not planning to take down the pan, but if you are dropping the pan, you'll get that plug out one way or another, I bet ya! In my case, I first checked that I had all correct size Allen/HEX wrenches, tested them on each plug and even loosen each a bit. I also tested the 10 mm socket, I even made sure each of those six bolts were going to come out without a hitch, once done checking, I went ahead and took out the drain plug. ;-]#

Old 12-13-2016 | 08:11 AM
Camel Trophy

It's interesting to me that the Land Rover maintenance schedule specifies changing the trans filter only once, at 30,000 miles. I went ahead and changed the filter in my truck 120K a few years ago because I didn't know when it had been changed previously, if ever. I recall seeing this discussed on the forums years ago but I don't recall the arguments about why or why not to change the filter at every service.

My truck is now overdue for a trans fluid change (4-1/2 years and just under 40,000 miles) so I plan to do it this week but I'm not planning to change the filter this time.

Old 12-13-2016 | 01:56 PM
Drifting

I'm thinking about doing this service but apprehensive to touch the tranny just because it has 166k miles on it and it's shifting smoothly. I've heard of instances of older trannies going out after having their fluids flushed for whatever reason. If anyone has feedback regarding higher mileage trannies, those insights would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2016 | 04:26 PM
Camel Trophy

As I understand it a simple drain and refill is different from a "flush," which can cause problems. As I understand it, and I know I don't understand much about this, a flush done at a shop uses some piece of equipment to more thoroughly replace the fluid in the transmission and torque converter and can, in doing so, cause problems. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than we can weigh in here.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (12-17-2016)
Old 12-14-2016 | 06:41 AM
Camel Trophy

I'm not more knowledgeable but I have a high mileage Disco and I've only replaced the filter and refilled it. I can't get to my RAVE at the moment but IIRC you don't do a flush; you just replace the filter then fill it up from the top hole. You can't get all of the fluid out of the torque converter anyway.

Old 12-14-2016 | 07:18 AM
Pro Wrench

I'm not claiming to be knowledgeable but flushing it but a lot of pressure where it's not needed. It can harm an older trans but a regular change won't. I change the fluid in mine 3 times every 30k. I drain it, refil it, drive around town(about 20-30 miles), drain it and drive again, then I drain it and drop the pan and change the filter to try and extract as much old fluid as possible. I can be OCD but the fluid isn't that expensive and it does help get a lot out and then when I fill it up the final time, I add a bottle of Lucas. Trans. It's thicker than syrup but helps. But that's just my preference and opinion

The following 3 users liked this post by Luckyjayb:
adolfojbonilla (12-17-2016), Disco Stu AZ (12-14-2016), JUKE179r (12-19-2016)
Old 12-14-2016 | 01:59 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the insights, guys. I think I'll go ahead and do a basic drain and fill sometime soon before I hit the trail again. Have a pretty long overlanding trip planned for late January and want to be in tip-top shape.

Old 12-17-2016 | 04:41 PM
|
Winching

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
I'm not claiming to be knowledgeable but flushing it but a lot of pressure where it's not needed. It can harm an older trans but a regular change won't. I change the fluid in mine 3 times every 30k. I drain it, refil it, drive around town(about 20-30 miles), drain it and drive again, then I drain it and drop the pan and change the filter to try and extract as much old fluid as possible. I can be OCD but the fluid isn't that expensive and it does help get a lot out and then when I fill it up the final time, I add a bottle of Lucas. Trans. It's thicker than syrup but helps. But that's just my preference and opinion
I was tempted do you just that, also based on the fact that the fluid isn't expensive, heck even the filter isn't expensive! would need to take care of the gasket though, unless wanting to throw a new one as well ...I'll look into it by year's end, dunno about the additive though, will read a bit more! ;-]#

Old 12-18-2016 | 07:55 PM
Pro Wrench

When I do it, you can see by the color that it is in fact removing some of the old every time you drain it. I read it somewhere (maybe a disco Mike recommendation) and it works for me. Plus after the first time, when u drain it and refill it, it is almost at working temp. Just don't burn your arm and have your son repeating your sailors mouth. Get some heat sleeves for those hot cats

Old 12-19-2016 | 01:05 AM
Drifting

@Luckyjayb, how long have you been running Lucas with your ATF? (I assume you're referring to their stop-slip additive). I've always used Lucas products in old American trucks, but wasn't sure if their trans additive would be good for a modern Germans trans like what we have in our discos.

Quick Reply: ..:: The Transmission Service Situation ::..