Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission slipping

I have a 2001 Disco, 156K. Last week, the transmission would not shift into D (like it was hung up in 3) I stopped, turned off the engine, and it worked fine.
This week, the transmission has stopped pulling all together. It willl not start moving in any gear.
Is it possible the transmission computer is bad or the shift controller is out? I would love to replace one of them other than having to get a whole new transmission.
Please let me know if anybody has had an experience like this and what you were able to do.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Have you checked the fluid level, the fluid, is it brown and or burned? It won't be the tranny computer.
Better start looking for a good guaranteed used one.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Check your battery voltage, the transmission computer is the last thing to get power and if its not getting enough it will not work right if at all.
Also check the trans fluid level, check the write up section on how to do this.
Third, assuming all else is good, you can buy a used trans computer for about $50, 5min to swap them out, its under the drivers seat.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

What about the brake light switch? Or is that only if it sticks in park?

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 07-28-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
What about the brake light switch? Or is that only if it sticks in park?
I think that just sticks it in park. It's just like the little piston that opens your fuel door. It just moves out of the way when you step on the brake.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear
Default Thanks for the help

The theory on the battery voltage is a good possiblility. I don't drive this car much and have to jump it pretty often. I will look into that right away. It is as much on a wing and a prayer, as I am not looking forward to swapping the tranny out.

Disco Mike,
I appreciate your input on this and have seen you make several good advice posts on this forum.
The fluid is good and was marginal. Not pretty and red, but not burned and brown either. Somewhere in between. I believe you have had some years in LR service. Have you ever heard of or experienced the low battery causing this problem?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Don't waste your time, even without voltage, your tranny should drive in limp mode. When are you going to check your fluids as I suggested?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Get yourself one of these...
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 800 Waterproof 12V Battery Charger: Automotive
Plug it in when you are not going to be driving the truck, unplug it when you are ready to.
Constantly running the battery dead and then recharging will kill it in short order.
Since you only drive the truck once and awhile I would invest in a battery tender.
If you got the right kind you would hook it up to the battery permanently and just run the 110V plug out from under the hood.
Park it, plug it in.
Battery is always full.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Won't help his fried tranny.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:54 AM
3rd Gear

Disco Mike, I included in my post the fluid level was good and the condition was marginal. (not pretty and red, but not burned and brown either.) I was hoping low fluid level was the problem, as that is exactly how it acts. It acts like there is not enough fluid to get the torque converter to kick in. It seems like the transmission is simply gone and I need to locate another one.

Thanks for the help. I don't post thast often, but I do learn tons from just reading on this forum.

Quick Reply: Transmission slipping