Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Stutter - only in "D"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 05:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Transmission Stutter - only in "D"

Hey guys,

Once again, thanks for the help and support. I've been quite the poster the past few days. This is a recent issue.
  • In Drive (and drive only), the vehicle acts like it is upshifting, but does not upshift. It kind of skips on occasion right about the time you think it would be upshifting.
  • Shifts fine between all P, N, R, D, 1, 2, 3.
  • All modes work
  • No SES or pending codes on the Ultraguage
  • No bad noises or clunky shifts
  • When It does shift it is smooth and normal
  • Happens at all speeds
  • Seems to be correlated with throttle input. From 10-30% throttle it seems to do this more often. At very minimal throttle it holds the gear. At wide open throttle it drops down the proper gear and holds it.
  • Fluid and filter change 2000 miles ago. Level checked today and it is perfect.
  • Transfer case shifts through all gears well high, low, and CDL. (2004 D2)
It DOES NOT have this stuttering issue if manual shifted from 1, 2, 3, to D. If left in D it will stutter.

Has anyone experienced this before?
I am not familiar with how the 4HP22 transmission fails. Is this one of its failure modes?
I know there are several connectors, sensors, and a control unit for the trans. To me it seems like a trans logic issue. What should be checked first?

Second post today. Thank you for your input!

Old 07-10-2020, 03:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Big question... HOW did you check the fluid level?

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 04:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Yes, fluid level would be my first check point. Then determining when the last fluid/filter change took place.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:07 AM
Rock Crawling

@JUKE179r fluid level was checked, I believe, with the motor off. Just asked my mechanic who checked it.

First move today will be to check with motor running.

fluid change performed about 2300 miles ago. I do not think the filter was changed.

seems likely to me the filter is original or was last changed a very long time ago. Need to look back through car fax.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:16 AM
Rock Crawling

Fluid level was checked with the motor running. Fluid still looked good.

Its been doing this for about a week now. This was not an issue when I first bought it about 2300 miles ago.

I had a front driveshaft installed, and one of the trans cooler lines was disconnected and let some fluid out.

The mechanic said that some metal shavings came with it. I would expect that when draining the fluid, but not sure about just a small drain from one of the cooler lines.

It seems likely to me that the recent fluid change freed up some gunk in the transmission.

Does anyone think the filter could be clogged, or maybe even the trans cooler lines?

Old 07-10-2020, 12:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Had a reputable local transmission shop with lots of Rover experience, and particular experience with the 4hp22 and 5hp33 take a look at it.

They think it's something electrical. He said "it thinks it needs to shift too soon." He does not have LR diagnostic tools and was not willing to troubleshoot any further.

I know the Throttle Position sensor influences Gear position. Is that a possibility?

Old 07-10-2020, 04:33 PM
Camel Trophy

You need to check trans fluid while engine is running, vehicle in park on level surface, fluid should run out of fill hole at about a diameter of an 1/8 inch.

If your mechanic checked while not running, he probably let about three quarts out. If he found metal shavings, while removing trans cooler line...a filter/fluid change would be in order.

​​​​​

Old 07-10-2020, 04:41 PM
Rock Crawling

@The Deputy I verified that he checked the level correctly. Engine running, flat surface.

Fluid is only about 2,000 miles old. I do not think the filter was changed when the fluid was changed. Do you think a dirty/ clogged filter could be the issue?

I also just put a new MAF on. No codes, but it does hunt for gears like a bad MAF will cause sometimes.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Camel Trophy

How many miles on vehicle?

Old 07-10-2020, 04:55 PM
Camel Trophy

I've gone back and read entire topic...and you give quite a few conflicting commments. You say the fluid was checked engine off, then engine on, then filter was changed, then it wasn't. If the filter hasn't been changed, do that next. Inspect trans pan for debris and metal particals. If nothing jumps out at you, replace filter and refill using proper procedure.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (07-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Transmission Stutter - only in "D"