Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission or transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transmission or transfer case

All,

I was driving yesterday and felt a lurch then loss all power to the drivetrain. The engine was still running but no power to the wheels. I was able to coast to the nearest parking lot and get the Disco towed home. I was on my way out of town so. Jumped in my other car and left. I’m back today and want to jump into it as there happen to be a Disco with a tranny and t-case in the pick a pull.

I just don’t know which is the problem. I have no forward or reverse gears but it still goes in to park. I shifted it to neutral and shifted to 4L, and 4H. Neither did anything. I have never had a tranny issue with any of my cars so this is the first, adding to the fact that it is an all time 4wheel makes it even more confusing to me. What are some steps to diagnose which piece it could be? I think either way I will try to pull the T-case from the pack a part since it is a model year that should have CDL and I do not.

Old 11-15-2020, 03:37 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

If “goes into park” means that the truck is held in place as it normally should be, then the issue is prob in the trans. Have you checked the fluid level?

Old 11-15-2020, 06:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Very unusual to have the transmission go out with a clunk, even more unusual to have a transfer case go out without very bad noises that continue. First task is to see if something in a diff went out, that is the most likely scenario. If you have CDL lock it in and see if it moves. If it does, your problem is in the front or rear diffs. If you do not, you can look at the driveshafts with the transmission in drive or reverse - all safety precautions must be taken of course - chocked wheels, best to do with a mirror, etc. If neither driveshaft is spinning, I would drop the inspection cover on the transfer case and inspect the internals and look to see if the input shaft is spinning.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok, so it did as Extinct said and checked the driveshafts. neither is spinning. I will pull up my Rave manual and see how to do the inspection cover check next. I will also look into T-case removal. I want to grab the donor one before someone else does. Any other tips?

Old 11-15-2020, 09:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Are the cables and linkage moving and engaging? Look underneath, may be disconnected and easy fix. Any lights on in the dash?

Old 11-15-2020, 09:34 PM
Three Wheeling

No lights on dash. I haven’t looked underneath for cable movement. What specifically should I be looking for? When shifting Hi-Low in the cabin there is “feedback” just as there normally would be on the trail. I actually have to rock the whole car to get it engaged.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Do you hear a clicking when you put it in park from any gear? If you do the transmission is spinning and the transfer case is probably in neutral. You can drain the transfer case oil and take off the inspection cover, and check to see if shifting to 4hi and 4lo is actually moving the ring onto the dog's. My shifter fork had sheared off in mine.