Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission woes, I think

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission woes, I think

I have a 1997 Land Rover Discovery SD with 69,534 miles on it. I just got it about a month ago. I was driving home and I was going up a hill and the vehicle started to rumble a little as the vehicle began to slow down. I pressed the gas a little more and the car was bucking lightly. The RPM guauge was revving really high, so I pulled over, tried to put in 4 wheel drive to help it along and nothing. I shut the vehicle off for about 1-2 minutes. Started it back up again and put it in 'drive' and it ran fine for about 2 miles and started to slow down again. I stopped for about a minute or so, started the vehicle again and it ran for another mile or so. I repeated this til I got home.
I am hoping that the transmission is still good and this is a minor problem. My gut feeling is that the torque converter has gone bad. Big Money!

I need some input on this, please!

Thanks.

chrisusvi

Old 02-24-2006, 01:15 AM
Winching
Default RE: transmission woes, I think

Get some trans codes pulled.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:55 AM
Drifting

I checked the transmission fluid level and it didn't even register on the dipstick. I filled it up to the correct level. Would that be a possible problem?

Can you translate that to english for me "trans codes pulled"?

Thanks.

chrisusvi

Old 02-24-2006, 12:37 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the transmission fluid level could be all it is.
Check it cold in neutral.
Look for leaks And keep it topped up.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Drifting

How fast were you going when this happened?
I noticed that when going around 50 (top of 3rd gear) and going up a hill the car will downshift into 3rd, from 4th to keep the rev band up, but put your foot down and it doesnt have enough power to accelerate, so it doesnt go to 4th until you clear the hill... The way to solve this, enter the hill at 70mph...

Old 02-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Drifting

In response to MilitantGrunt's question, on the island here I rarely can top speeds of 30 to 35mph. I was climbing a hill at approximately 25mph when the vehicle started to buck back and forth and about a half a mile further along I had no control over the acceleration of the vehicle. The weird thing is that I pulled to the side of the road. I turned the engine off. About a couple minutes later, I started the vehicle and put it in drive and it drove fine. About a mile further, it did it again. So I repeted this all the way home. When I checked the transmission fluid level, it didn't even register on the dipstick. I think I overfilled it though. How do I remove some of the fluid to bring it down to level? Do you also think I need to change the transmission filter or is it not necessary?

Old 02-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Militant,
I had a similar experience with my Trans. I explained the problem to my mechanic and he said it was the kick-down cable. It's what tells the trans to downshift at the right speed. He adjusted it for me and now I fly up the hills and it accelerates great.

ORIGINAL: MilitantGrunt

I noticed that when going around 50 (top of 3rd gear) and going up a hill the car will downshift into 3rd, from 4th to keep the rev band up, but put your foot down and it doesnt have enough power to accelerate, so it doesnt go to 4th until you clear the hill... The way to solve this, enter the hill at 70mph...

Old 02-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Does the engine seem to sputter or cut out when you accelerate beyond a certain point?

Old 02-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Drifting

No, the vehicle just continues to slow down.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:20 AM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: adowgiert

Militant,
I had a similar experience with my Trans. I explained the problem to my mechanic and he said it was the kick-down cable. It's what tells the trans to downshift at the right speed. He adjusted it for me and now I fly up the hills and it accelerates great.

ORIGINAL: MilitantGrunt

Oh awesome, mine has its moods, sometimes it kicks down perfectly. I mean it even uses 2nd sometimes.

Quick Reply: transmission woes, I think