Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travel Tool Kit - Contents?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 05:47 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Travel Tool Kit - Contents?

Hey folks. So I bought my Disco sight unseen (had it inspected) in the states, and I am currently stationed in Germany. I will be returning this summer and can't wait to get behind the wheel. I'd like to put together a good travel tool kit that can live in my Disco. Since all of my tools will be shipped via boat, I won't have anything when I get back to the States unless I plan ahead.

I also plan on completing the "Major Services," along with the big list of recommended services on AB's site for I believe 90K - pretty much every service they have recommended on there.

Since I've not done any work on a Disco before, I have no idea what the common sizes are. I've seen just about every Atlantic British YouTube video, so I have a general idea. Seems like 13mm is pretty common, and a few odd-***** I can recall are 8mm 12-point for the valve covers, 5/8" universal socket for one of the rear head bolts, I think it's 12mm 12-point for header bolts? Anyway...

I'm hoping you folks could help me put together a really good kit that should have me be able to remove and install just about any fastener. I really don't want to just buy like a 300-piece set, as I won't use the extras for anything else. I have full sets of just about everything in my toolbox. I'm also considering things like a butane soldering iron, etc. Anything you guys can recommend!

Thanks in advance everybody!

Edit: It's a 2000, with the 4.0L if that makes any difference.

Last edited by attworth; 01-09-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:53 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For common maintenance & light repair, a variety of 6pt metric sockets & wrenches will do most.

You're correct, the valve cover bolts are 8mm 12pt, and exhaust manifold are 12mm 12pt. The brake caliper bracket bolts are also 12pt, I think 15mm. I believe those are the only 12pt you'll encounter for light repair/maintenance.

I would also ad metric hex key sockets, a fan clutch wrench (36mm if memory serves correct).

I'll have to check my toolbox for size, but a socket for the crank pulley (I want to say 24mm) would be good to have. A socket & breaker bar is good for the lugnuts as well (I think 26mm).

If the front driveshaft is original, it will have 14mm nuts & bolts. I found its easier to remove the front part of the shaft with 2 wrenches rather than a socket & wrench, so not sure if its worth doubling up on 14mm wrenches.

I would have either a 1/2 drive ratchet or bit for the drain plug on the differentials/T-case. I believe the differential fill plug is 22mm. It's plastic, but I upgraded to brass from Rovers North and its 22mm.

A phillips #2 will get most of the screws, but you will occasionally need a phillips #3 (ex: disc brake retainer screw).

I would also get a good pair of pliers (coolant hose clips), wire cutters (various zip ties).

I'm convinced you can take the car apart with 8, 10 & 13mm. I would get deep sockets in those sizes as well.

The following users liked this post:
attworth (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:34 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nickm347
I'm convinced you can take the car apart with 8, 10 & 13mm. I would get deep sockets in those sizes as well.
Thanks for your thorough reply. This should help me get a list of stuff together.

I plan to send some of the specialty stuff to my in-laws where the Disco is at, including a fan clutch tool (the Gearwrench one specifically). I think the hope is I can mail back some of my "extras" in these common sizes I need, and then order whatever fillers I need to get my kit complete.

Thanks again, and I appreciate any additional comments.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a 2000 also, here are some more ideas:
Light(s). Things go wrong at night.
Telescoping magnet for when you drop stuff that's magnetic. Long reach pliers for stuff non-magnetic.
Vice grips.
Multi meter, elec conn, striper/crimper tool.
Cheap/free tarp to put on ground to stay clean.
Tape, brake cleaner, PB blaster. Hammer. Pry bar. JB weld. Oil & coolant. Warning reflectors. You will build the list with more experience.

attworth (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

A code reader, I bought an iCarsoft for a pretty good price.

attworth (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Hardware Wise:

Spare Relays
Spare Hyundai Purge Control Valve
Spare MAF
Spare IAC
Spare (new style brake switch)
1 or 2 spare lug nuts
Misc spare bulbs
Misc Hose Clamps
Misc Fuses from 10amp to 40amp
Spare 150amp Alternator Mega Fuse

All of the above I have in a nice clear fishing tackle container and it's stored in one of the rear bins. I'd also carry a spare serpentine belt (I always keep my old ones for spares if they're in decent shape).

Tools:

8mm 12point
10mm 12point
12mm 12point
9/16 open end wrenches or sockets (your choice) for front drive shaft (14mm has never fit any of my D2's)
Socket Set Metric
Screw Driver with multiple bits
Manual Impact Driver (for your brake rotor screws & any other screw that you don't want to strip)
Both my D2's have a ScanGauge II, installed in them, but I'd take along at least an iCarsoft LR2 so you can read/reset LR specific faults like ABS/Transmission.
36mm Fan Clutch Tool (ya never know)
Wire Cutters/Crimpers
Pliers
Adjustable wrench
Long 1/2inch Breaker Bar & 1 1/16 Socket for removing lug nuts vs the flimsy OEM tool

That should take care of any basic road side repairs. If you were traveling across the country I'd honestly pack a spare alternator (hard to locate out in the boonies), another thing I do with all my LR's is attach a USB jump drive to my key ring with the RAVE Manual on it. In case it really requires some detailed troubleshooting. I can look at it on any computer.

attworth (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I would recommend the following to keep in the truck for quick repairs for on road use:
  • DEKOPRO 168pcs Socket Wrench Auto Repair Tool Combination Package Mixed Tool Set Hand Tool Kit with Plastic Toolbox Storage Case
  • Fan Clutch wrench
  • iCarsoft code reader
  • 1/2 breaker bar
  • 4x4 ft piece of carpet
  • serpentine belt
  • quart of oil
  • flashlight
  • various size hose clamps
  • towel

attworth (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Mudding

Loving all these replies, thank you folks.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

A spare thermostat

Old 01-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Mudding

Thanks so far everybody. I have a Scanguage II sitting at my brother's house, specifically for the Disco. I also hope to get a Nanocom. We have a VW, and the equivalent tool (VAGCOM) has been super useful and more than paid for itself.

Quick Reply: Travel Tool Kit - Contents?