Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

travel trailer towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default travel trailer towing

Does anyone have practical experience towing a travel trailer?

I'm looking at towing my in-laws trailer but I am a little weary about strapping a 22ft trailer to the back without a little help from those of you who are experienced in this.

The Rover dealer knows nothing other than what the manual says and these vehicles are not exactly the usual ford f150/350 or suburbans the local trailer dealers are used to - so they know little of what to expect......

Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds kind of dangerous. I know Discos are good for towing a little pop-up or a waverunner, but for towing any more than that, you may want to buy an older f250 or 350 and just use it for towing. They can be found for around 5k with a diesel if you look around.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tow a 1 horse trailer, no problems.... a 22 foot trailer....that's pretty damn big...

Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Didn't your girlfriend ever tell you size doesn't matter???

Its about the weight of it... i tow a 4,500 lbs boat+trailer with no problem... You could tow a 30' camper if it weights the same...probably wouldn't want to drive it through hurricane force wind but if your under the weight limit no problem. You can also go out and get an anti-sway bar kit that will improve the ride.

What does the trailer weigh? Trailer brakes?

The following users liked this post:
Roverbabe (02-13-2022)
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Mudding

The trailer is 4200lbs dry and about 45/4800lbs packed with no water.

Tongue weight is unknown and I have been looking into the Prodigy RF trailer brake.

Brake Controllers - Tekonsha

The manual says 4410lb with brakes and 7700lb off road in low.
My Dealer says "No problem" with 4500-4800lbs with the use of equalizer bars.

Why is there such a discrepancy between 4410 and 7700? if the tongue weight is the same and the trailer has brakes (and they are set/balanced properly ) wouldn't a rating of around 5000-5500 be more understandable?

I know it is a short wheelbase compared to an f150/suburban or any other over sized American spec tow vehicle, these things (Disco's) and touaregs) tow 30+ft airstrerams!!!!!!!

And they are VW's!!!!!!!!!!!! A v6 or TDI can tow 7716lbs. 4Runner 5000lbs.

Did they under rate these disco's?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Mudding

nychaze -
which brake controller do you run and what anti sway bar keeps you on track?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Drifting

I would say you need the anti sway control that mounts to your hitch and to the trailer tongue. You can adjust the tension on the control by tightening the adjuster. I would think that all of the Rovers would be able to tow atleast up to 6000 lbs with no problems. I have towed a Coleman popup that weighs in at 3800 lbs and did not have trailer brakes.I never had a problem unless I was going up a steep grade

Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Its not the length its the weight as already mentioned.
The truck is rated for 7700lbs every where except the sue your *** because I need a pay day USA.
You are fine, brake controller would be best with anti sway bars.
Keep it at 60mph and you're good to go.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by LADEROUTE
nychaze -
which brake controller do you run and what anti sway bar keeps you on track?
The boat trailer doesnt have brakes and the ride is fine without the sway bar kit. If i had to tow it across the county again i would probably would install the sway bar kit. But as it is i am towing around pretty much the same weight you intend to (boat and trailer ~4500 lbs) without brakes on my trailer...We even towed it last weekend with 4 people, a dog and the truck packed to the brim with no problems... you just have to be cautious...leave room and be light on the pedal.

I know there are a couple of threads floating around on how to install the controller, check there for what brand they used. Im sure any controller and sway bar kit will be fine...i dont think china mass production/mass crap has destroyed the trailer market yet...(if they did make anti-sway bars the shipping would cost more than it cost them to make it... )

I would agree that rover took the cautious way out on this one... i think the un-braked limit in the manual say 1500lbs... A civic is rated for that...

And the discrepancy between 4410 (High Range - Street) and 7700 (Low Range - Off Road) is all due to speed. In low range you obviously cant go that fast so less stress on the drive train when stopping/starting.

To give yourself a piece of mind change out fluid in the diffs, and transfer case with 85WT-140 (~7 qts, i think the diffs, and t-case are 2 quarts each) and change out the transmission fluid with 6 Qts. Of Vavoline’s high mileage Dextron 3 ATF along with 1 bottle of Lucas Transmission additive (all of this is found on the "Major Service" - sticky)

Its a cheap little overhaul but it will go a long way. You can also do 500+ other thing but if your just towing a couple weekends out of the summer/year dont get crazy...

If it was me:
-brake kit
-stabalizer/anti-sway/equializer bars (whatever the heck you want to call them)
-fluids
And if i had extra cash left over
-Oil or Water temp sensor (to get accurate readings the dash one is useless)
-Trans temp

Last edited by nychaze; 06-15-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the basic speed law in America states that you can't exceed 55 mph with 3+ axles. With that and a bit of knowledge towing a trailer I think you will be fine. Give your self extra brake room and time to accelerate. Don't sit in over drive.

The Disco will do fine as long as you don't push it beyond it's operating limits and you have some basic skills with a trailer.

I have towed a flat bed with my disco that was 3 axle and had our tractor on it, it did fine for the 45mile trip. Probably 6,000 lb with the kabota tractor and trailer. I had brakes on the trailer FYI.

Quick Reply: travel trailer towing