Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricky Dick - Front Hub

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Tricky Dick - Front Hub

It appears that my passenger side hub is leaking some fluid. Not enough to cause a puddle but, enough that if I look at the assembly it looks wet.

While I could pull the hub out and just replace the O ring, I figured I might as well replace both passenger side and drivers side hubs with the Brit Part from LRDirect with a 2 year warranty.
https://www.lrdirect.com/Parts-by-Mo...b-and-bearing/

Question - While I got everything pulled off should I think about replacing anything else (i.e. CV Joints, ball joints)

I already did the rotors and pads a year ago so not worried about brakes.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Siince you will have it all apart, I’d say go for it if you really need them replaced.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi, if you are replacing the shaft to axle seals also check the CV's but if they are OK then at least replace the rubber CV boots. CV joints generally last very well but check and repack them with CV grease.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:01 PM
Pro Wrench

I can inspect the CV's but, what am I looking for? I am assuming a little bit of play

FYI - just ripped apart the dash and center console. I fab up some brackets for the console switches, and moved my Grom unit to a different location as my existing aux cord started cutting out. I also fixed a broken air vent and while I was in there I noticed that the sensor for the heater core was dangling loose. Put it back where it belongs and stuffed some cut up paper towels to lock it in place.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
I can inspect the CV's but, what am I looking for? I am assuming a little bit of play

FYI - just ripped apart the dash and center console. I fab up some brackets for the console switches, and moved my Grom unit to a different location as my existing aux cord started cutting out. I also fixed a broken air vent and while I was in there I noticed that the sensor for the heater core was dangling loose. Put it back where it belongs and stuffed some cut up paper towels to lock it in place.
Hi FND, ref: the CV's, you are looking for any rotational slack in them, if they look good just grease them with CV grease and fit a new rubber boot.

Are you sure it's the heater sensor and not the AC sensor? The AC climate control has a sensor and bypass arrangement (don't know too much about the AC workings though) but the heater is also controlled by the CC system I believe. Be careful with paper towels not to block the matrix as the AC matrix gets very wet.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi FND, ref: the CV's, you are looking for any rotational slack in them, if they look good just grease them with CV grease and fit a new rubber boot.

Are you sure it's the heater sensor and not the AC sensor? The AC climate control has a sensor and bypass arrangement (don't know too much about the AC workings though) but the heater is also controlled by the CC system I believe. Be careful with paper towels not to block the matrix as the AC matrix gets very wet.
The sensor is located on the non inlet/ outlet side of the matrix. There is actually an indentation where it is supposed to touch the matrix and be held in place by the surrounding plastic. I pushed it back and used the paper towels to keep it from wiggling out again. The paper towels are between the end of the matrix and plastic wall. Not the fins that would hamper airflow.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

It appears that my passenger side hub is leaking some fluid. Not enough to cause a puddle but, enough that if I look at the assembly it looks wet.

While I could pull the hub out and just replace the O ring, I figured I might as well replace both passenger side and drivers side hubs with the Brit Part from LRDirect with a 2 year warranty.
https://www.lrdirect.com/Parts-by-Mo...b-and-bearing/

Question - While I got everything pulled off should I think about replacing anything else (i.e. CV Joints, ball joints)

I already did the rotors and pads a year ago so not worried about brakes.
The front axle uses a seal within the axle housing, the o-ring on the hub is not holding back fluid. The rear axle uses a o-ring. Check your vent tube, rear too, for obstructions...9 times out of 10...this cures minimal leaks.

How many miles on rover, CV's are pretty durable...but yes you would be looking for what ORF said.

Brian.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by The Deputy
The front axle uses a seal within the axle housing, the o-ring on the hub is not holding back fluid. The rear axle uses a o-ring. Check your vent tube, rear too, for obstructions...9 times out of 10...this cures minimal leaks.

How many miles on rover, CV's are pretty durable...but yes you would be looking for what ORF said.

Brian.
i assumed that the o ring was the same as the rear, thanks for pointing that out. I will inspect this weekend and report back.

milage is 130k

Old 08-21-2018, 02:25 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

i assumed that the o ring was the same as the rear, thanks for pointing that out. I will inspect this weekend and report back.

milage is 130k
FTC4822 is the part number for the front axle seal you need.

https://youtu.be/wCCoJUYLK1U

Old 08-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Look your boots over really well, on CV joint. Sometimes, they will crack from age and leak grease (which will appear as though it is coming from the axle seal). The axle vent tubing comes out easily from the axle housing, just compress outer collar, while pushing in gentle on the tube, once outer collar is complete compressed, pull tube out (just be sure it is clean around the collar/tube). Take compressed air and blow the tube out. It exits under the hood, passenger side along firewall.

​​​​​​​Both of mine were plugged solid.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Tricky Dick - Front Hub