Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricky Problem - Wits End

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tricky Problem - Wits End

Just had all four front ball joints installed on my 2001 DII with 110,000 miles on it by a private mechanic.

Got it back and everything seemed OK until I turned right while accelerating. The Traction Control light comes on and the whole rig bogs, jumps & jerks while the engine revs normally.

If I let off the gas and straighten the wheels everything is OK and I can accelerate properly.

It doesn't seem to have a problem if I am turning left under power but it did bogs, jump & jerk when I hit some rumble strips at a rail crossing. I was going straight at about 35mph - tac around 1500ish - TC light came on. It bogged, jumped & jerked until I took my foot off the gas pedal and let everything settle. Then drove/accellerated fine driving strait.

If I put her in neutral while rolling (any speed) she's just fine going right. No noise - no bogging, jerking & jumping down. Just if I am accelerating.

Please tell me the mechanic simply forgot/didn't get right the reattaching of one of the sensor and/or broke it?

If not, what are some other possibilities I can test?

Last edited by Robover01; 06-16-2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: left out some details
Old 06-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Three Wheeling

These are about a million ways you could disable the TC/ABC altogether for testing.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not attempt to drive it knowing the direction might not be ok. Remove the wheels and inspect carefully everything or have it checked asap by somebody else. It could be severely out of alignment.

Franky

Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies.

I don't think it's severly out of line because it drives perfectly straight (no hands needed on the wheel) and turns fine both ways in neutral.

In the heat of the moment I didn't think of totally knocking out the TC. If I pull a fuse would that do it or is there a best way to disable the TC?

Thanks again.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:34 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to be insensitive, but just because the guy is "down on his luck" doesn't mean he shouldn't be responsible for the work he did on your truck. Take it back to him and tell him he messed up...

....bring hard copies of the pages or the link to the RAVE manual.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Three Wheeling

yloDiscoII, you're right. I didn't start this post right. I have been very down on my luck more than once. My outburst came from the guy washing his hands of the new problem entirely. He said "I did the ball joints and they have nothing to do with traction control so f**k off". Then I wrote what I wrote.

He may be right but everything except one ball joint (I had him do all four)were fine before I took it to him.

All I need now are some trouble shooting ideas on why I can't turn right & accellerate. Would disabling the TC be the best place to start and, if so, what is the best way to do that? Fuse/fuses or something else? Any other troubleshooting ideas?

I'm going to go edit that first post. It does come off as rude and I'm not like that.

Thanks yloDiscoII.

Last edited by Robover01; 06-16-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Robover01
......He said "I did the ball joints and they have nothing to do with traction control so f**k off". Then I wrote what I wrote....
NO NO NO, I WASN'T SAYING YOU were the rude one.

I was saying that just because he is down on his luck it doesn't give him the excuse to do $*&#%y work for people trying to help him out, he should do it right and be held to the same standards. But obviously, he is a wiener and screwed you. That really sucks that even people in a bind like him can act that way. Don't change the post, except to add the part where he told you to f**k off.

Now to your problem. This might be one for a DiscoMike, that is bizarre and sound like something didn't get connected, or was broken in the process of him "fixing" your truck for you. I've never disabled my TC, so I'm not sure the easiest or most effective way.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:16 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by maxman
These are about a million ways you could disable the TC/ABC altogether for testing.
So why don't you be helpful and suggest 2 or 3 ways to help Robover01 out????

Old 06-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks yloDiscoII. I did get what you were saying but still, I didn't need to go to his level. It did sound arrogant when I reread it this morning. When I've been down on my luck I've worked even harder to prove myself to anyone that gives me a chance AND stood by my work of course. I'm guessing I know the reason for this guy being down on his luck?

Anyway, thanks for the help. I just started a whole new post "Temporarily disabling TC" because I managed to screw this one up so bad. I was kinda pissed but that's no reason to come on here and write a soap opera.

PS LOVE your DII's look. Bad **** you have there.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Disconnecting the modulator should do the trick. That will open the circuit to the famous SVS sensor. Instant Amigos.

Quick Reply: Tricky Problem - Wits End