Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a truckload of problems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a truckload of problems...

hey guys, I have a 2001 LR Disco II with 84,000 miles on it and have a bunch of problems. Any and all info could help. Most problems came after a cross country drive. Here they are:
- after a cold startup, the truck ramps up rpms as if i were stepping on the gas pedal and releasing. The rpms go up and down for about a minute or so very quickly. It would look like I were revving the engine although the truck does it itself. Simultaneously, what sounds like a vaccuum runs for about two or three minutes and then goes off. The rpms rev, the vacuum sound comes on, the rpms stop revving, and a little while later the vacuum sound goes away. I found that while the rpms were increasing and decreasing if I actually did step on the gas it would force the rpms from jumping up and down and they would stabilize more quickly.
-also while driving on the highway, after about sixty-five or so mph when i let off the gas the truck kind of stutters and jumps a little. It does this daily and only after driving a decent amount (15 or 20 miles).
-I pulled the codes and got p1415. I researched these forums and found some info. I checked all of the connections and hoses and they seem fine. Is it possible that the secondary air input needs to be changed?

I bought this truck when times were good and now I am finding that I cannot afford to keep taking it to the LR dealer. I've been there 3 times in the past year alone. I am now forced to try to figure out the problems myself as I cannot afford LR dealer prices. Please anyone and everyone- any info helps...

Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three things that I'd start with....

1) Throttle position sensor
2) Condition of vacuum lines/connections (esp. around intake)
3) PCV valve

A search of the forum will probably lead to more detailed info on each.

Good luck. Once you get a couple of DIY repairs under your belt, you'll realize that these trucks are pretty easy to work on.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your SAI (secondary air injection) pump filter is clogged, replace it. That is the vacuum sound that you hear.
The rpms go up when you start it to help warm up the cats, the SAI works like a black smiths bellows to speed up the cats getting hot.
Hot cats work better than cold ones.
Replace your SAI filter and I bet your rpm are fine at idle.
Do that then we can work on the other.