Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to follow the RAVE procedure for head gaskets,....but its so convoluted?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove the hood because it allows better access to the rear of the engine and it only takes 4 bolts and a minute to remove it. You could leave the hood on and then battle to get access to the rear of the engine and waste much more time than it would have taken to remove the hood - it's your choice.
I stripped the engine down to the bare block and rebuilt it using rave as a guide, I had no problem following it at all. It makes sense to me that all the tasks are broken out into sections. I was a software technical writer so that is maybe why my brain is screwed up and I understand rave.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
Remove the hood because it allows better access to the rear of the engine and it only takes 4 bolts and a minute to remove it. You could leave the hood on and then battle to get access to the rear of the engine and waste much more time than it would have taken to remove the hood - it's your choice.
I stripped the engine down to the bare block and rebuilt it using rave as a guide, I had no problem following it at all. It makes sense to me that all the tasks are broken out into sections. I was a software technical writer so that is maybe why my brain is screwed up and I understand rave.
Nah, I agree, I think RAVE is very good (but nothing matches the honda factory service manuals). It could be that I'm just about half midget about the hood thing... I never noticed it in the way. I'd certainly remove it if doing anything more involved like heads or engine.... what would make the job even easier would be if the freakin' cowl wasn't in the way.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
Mike, I just reviewed the procedure that the link was provided for......I think I'll be OK following it. I'll shoot you a PM if I get stuck (maybe on re-assembly after I get the head work done).

Brian
There are a number of steps, in the Rave, that are not mentioned when taking the engine apart that would be good for you to know and follow before you start.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry boys, but I see that as unecessary convolution.

I've restored a number of cars over the years,......some were ground up restos but granted,....always older cars (Austin Healeys, Alfas, early Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc. ....but again always older cars where you could see where everything was,...and frankly, didnt need a shop manual for the dismantle............just some torque specs for re-assembly. I've been rebulding cars since I was 15.....I'm 60 now,...so Know my way around a wrench and Have certainly read my share of shop manuals..............but...admittedly, do occasionally have a left over fastener (who hasnt??).
It really doesn't sound like you know your way around FACTORY SERVICE MANUALS. Because I can absolutely confirm that Porsche writes them the same "convoluted" way. And by "convoluted" I mean only describing each procedure in one place in the manual and including a reference to it for a given job.

If you didn't need a manual for all the rest of those cars, why do you need it for this one? It's quite a bit simpler to change the heads on a DII than literally any OHC motor. If all you need are torque specs, they are on a couple of pages right at the beginning of the Rave manual.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
It really doesn't sound like you know your way around FACTORY SERVICE MANUALS. Because I can absolutely confirm that Porsche writes them the same "convoluted" way. And by "convoluted" I mean only describing each procedure in one place in the manual and including a reference to it for a given job.

If you didn't need a manual for all the rest of those cars, why do you need it for this one? It's quite a bit simpler to change the heads on a DII than literally any OHC motor. If all you need are torque specs, they are on a couple of pages right at the beginning of the Rave manual.
DarylJ,,,,,,,,,,,,,whats your deal? If you cant contribute something positive,...why bother to take the time to come here and post insults. Is there any value in that? Go find someone else in the schoolyard to fight with.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DarylJ,,,,,,,,,,,,,whats your deal? If you cant contribute something positive,...why bother to take the time to come here and post insults. Is there any value in that? Go find someone else in the schoolyard to fight with.
My "problem" is that people like to post a lot of crap about knowing this that and the other thing and having experience doing this and that, and then prove that they don't in the next sentence.

Some people actually look for real information. "Rave sucks" is no more useful than what I posted, or what you posted.

Why are you taking the time to come here and complain?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
My "problem" is that people like to post a lot of crap about knowing this that and the other thing and having experience doing this and that, and then prove that they don't in the next sentence.

Some people actually look for real information. "Rave sucks" is no more useful than what I posted, or what you posted.

Why are you taking the time to come here and complain?
Boy you like to put your negative spin on things dont you Daryl boy.

I came here expressing frustration and asking for help............I got that help from others....not you. Seems like You're just a glass half empty guy arent you. I got the help I needed from Mike and Vandev and a bit of encouragement from others,...so I am unsubscribing from the thread as I see you will keep coming back with something with an insulting or negative tone.....its not helpful and is a waste of time.

Last edited by bcolins; 05-05-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian keep up the hard work. I know it's frustrating, but remember: "Opinions are like @$$#0!es." Use the info you got here from these people. I know it's a bit late now, but I would also googling "In search of the experience." That DVD is awesome, and has an hour long video walkthrough of a HG replacement. Worth it's weight in gold! Good luck!

Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If every repair job had a complete start to finish procedure in the manual then it would be about 10k pages, because most procedures would be described many times.
The way the factory manual is organized is quite good.

I've worked on a lot of types of cars and IMO the Land Rover factory manuals have been among the best.

A tip using the pdf version of the manual, when it references another section, just do CTRL+F and use the search function for the section referenced.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

I may be late for this but here is what I made back in Nov 2008

Repairs - LAND ROVER Club V.I.

its on the bottom right..

Quick Reply: Trying to follow the RAVE procedure for head gaskets,....but its so convoluted?