Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to unbolt Driveplate from Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to unbolt Driveplate from Torque Converter

Im working on a 2003 Disco II 4.6
I took the rubber plug out and the bolt that connects the drive plate to the torque converter is lodged against an opening. The shoulder off all three bolts is lodged against the traingle shaped opening. I can't figure out how it got that way or how to get it back far enough I can get a socket it on it to get the bolts out. I am pulling the motor anyway, so I pulled the oil pan to get this picture and get better access. I took the plug with three bolts out of the bottom of the bellhousing of the tranny and used a pry bar to hold the back side of the torque converter but can't get anything to move. Any ideas on how that works? I am at a loss for how to get these bolts out. Heres an photo

Attached Thumbnails Trying to unbolt Driveplate from Torque Converter-flywheel.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 05:54 PM
4wd Low

Try rotating the engine from the crankshaft bolt (24mm socket, 1/2" ratchet, 3ft cheater bar), and that should turn the flex plate to a position where you can access the bolts evenly.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Mudding

Ok so I got it figured out. I had been holding the torque coverter with a prybar and used a socket on the crank bolt to turn the motor and it wasn't working. I cam back later on and tried something different. I used a prybar to hold the torque converter still, and used a straight edge screw driver to pry on the teeth of the gear against the transmission to rotate it slightly. If anyone else has to do this that is the way. You can apply a lot more leverage with the teeth on the ring gear than with the crank bolt. I was able to rotate the crank earlier, but the bolts and torque converter was turning with it.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Cool, good piece of info. By the way, what are you fixing on this thing? Just out of curiousity.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Cool, good piece of info. By the way, what are you fixing on this thing? Just out of curiousity.
I would venture to say a broken flexplate for one... The torque converter bolts should be right in the center of each triangle piece of the flywheel.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm curious if the four bolts that secure the flex plate to the flywheel sheared odd, they had to as this is the only way this could happen. As stated in the previous thread. The bolt heads should be dead center in the flywheel triangle cut outs.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Mudding

That's what I was confused about. I don't see how the bolts got that way. From marks on the heads of the bolts it looks like the heads of the bolts were holding against the triangle opening. Anyone ever seen this happen before? I bought it like this with an engine knock. Pulling the pan there is one rod bearing that is very loose. Few other that are somewhat loose. I haven't gotten the motor out yet hopefully get that done in the morning and will let everyone know what I find. The weird thing is the truck drove just fine in forward and reverse and shifted gears just fine drove smooth etc. I would have thought a broken driveplate would have acted funny shifting from R to D etc. Anyone ever heard of this scenario in 03 Disco's ?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

What does this truck have for miles on it? Just wondering? Did the oil pump go to hell on you, or previous owner? You are changing the whole engine, correct?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Mudding

112,xxx miles. Plan to fix this motor unless crank is bad or problem with block. Oil Pump I plan to replace. I didn't do a pressue check before I tore it apart cause I planned to replace the pump gears regardless. I bought it with the knock thinking it was the slipped liners. But seeing the bad rod bearing makes me wonder. Fingers crossed the liners haven't slipped and the rods are what my noise was. Plan to replace rings/bearings/gaskets etc while I'm in there. I want to take the driveplate off and see what is going on there, something isn't right.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yikes!!! Loose rod bearings are scary! Sounds like you've lost oil pressure for sure with that kind of damage in the bottom end. Slipped liners are probably NOT your problem. If the crank bearings are that worn, that's what's knocking in there. Though it's probably not going to be too cheap for new con-rods, bearings, and to get the crank ground down.
Well, Good Luck to you. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you!

Quick Reply: Trying to unbolt Driveplate from Torque Converter