Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to unbolt Driveplate from Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ruffram
That sounds fine with me. Used parts in good shape don't bother me a bit, these trucks are so rare its hard to find reasonable price especially from a place that checks them out and stands behind what they sell.
I know what you mean. I'm actually pretty lucky as I have D.A.P. basically in my back yard! those guys are GREAT!!! Very helpful, Extremely knowledgable, and on top of that they're really friendly. I remember checking one place for an upper intake (plenum) gasket for my DII and getting a quote of something like 60 or 70 dollars. Called them that following Monday when they opened back up and it was something like $12!!! Huge savings and close to home. Of course, if you're not in a hurry (or if you don't live close) they can also ship anything they sell. Either way they're great to deal with. The girl who works in the parts department actually lives even closer to me than the shop and she's offered many times to meet me somewhere closer to my house, there's not too many places with service like that anymore! If you're ever in the market for gaskets they have great prices on most of that stuff (complete head reseal kit including H/G's valve seals, exh. manifold gaskets, upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, complete set of head bolts, etc. is $199.95 + VT. tax) pretty good deal and good parts too. Check them out too at D.A.P. Enterprises LLC - Everything for your Land Rover

Old 08-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I bought a flywheel from Used Range Rover Parts : Land Rover Replacement Discovery Parts shortly after buying my Landy with a knock, having it towed home, and cranking it a few times before hearing a "chunk" which seized the engine. (connecting rod broke from the piston and split the camshaft on the upstroke, sending a piece of camshaft through the back of the block wedging and damaging the flywheel).

Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by 0304Disco
I haven't had much luck any time I called Roverland for a part I needed. When I rebuilt my 4.6 two months back I
bought just about every internal engine part from Turner
Engineering in the UK including
a block for much less then I
could have purchase it for in the US. I had my crank turned .10
under to go with the first size of oversized bearings.
what did they have for prices on bare blocks? (if you remember)

Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
I bought a flywheel from Used Range Rover Parts : Land Rover Replacement Discovery Parts shortly after buying my Landy with a knock, having it towed home, and cranking it a few times before hearing a "chunk" which seized the engine. (connecting rod broke from the piston and split the camshaft on the upstroke, sending a piece of camshaft through the back of the block wedging and damaging the flywheel).
Oh man, that's terrible!!! Did it end up costing you a fortune to fix it or did you get away with it for a reasonable amount?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Oh man, that's terrible!!! Did it end up costing you a fortune to fix it or did you get away with it for a reasonable amount?
Four (?) year ago I bought it for $2,500 figuring I was going to replace the engine. 88k miles, and perfect condition except for the knocking no start condition. I got a used engine with 80k on it and guaranteed for a year (at the the time) from Engine World and a flywheel from Used Range Rover Parts : Land Rover Replacement Discovery Parts who had the cheapest price at the time. $5,000 +/- invested for a D2 that was nearly pristine and blue booked for $8,000 4 years ago.

I came out ahead, plus the knowledge gained from doing all the work myself.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by disc oh no
You're a good man!
Yeah, yeah... I just believe in Karma, and am trying to keep another Disco out of the salvage yard for lack of owner knowledge.

...damnit, had I not said anything, I could've had some of those "bling" headlights for cheap in the near future....