Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune up, spark plug, wires, coils,

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 08:49 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Tune up, spark plug, wires, coils,

Hello Colleagues,

My 2001 Disco 2 has 160,000 miles I bought it with 130,000 four years ago and it already had "Blue" wires running to its spark plugs. I assume it had spark plug and wire service at some point. The vehicle is not misfiring, no ticks, or anything. I am assuming, since I don't know when the last spark plug service was done that it wouldn't hurt to do another one. But, I am also thinking, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". What do you guys think? If you do recommend going through the service, what would you recommend as far as Spark Plugs, Wires, Coils, etc. I am going to replace the Intake hose, and ABS Modulator, I already have the parts and figured would take the opportunity and do a little more "Tune-upping". Let me know your thoughts..... Mando de Armas

Old 09-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

On the tune up part, if you are going to the trouble of doing the spark plug wires it makes sense to replace the coils at the same time. That way you won't have to tear into it anytime soon. Why are you replacing the ABS modulator? Did the pump itself die? Or is it leaking ABS fluid out onto the shuttle valve switches? If it's doing none of the above except you have the 3 Amigo's present I'd certainly look up the term Option B or read the sticky in the D2 section. 99% of the time the modulator itself is fine, it's the internal connection inside the Wabco unit that fails and causes the 3 Amigo's due to shuttle valve switch faults or ground faults. You can simply bypass the internal "weak link" connection the shuttle valve switches use to connect the Wabco unit. It normally only takes about 30min to do & it will make the system extremely reliable after Option B is performed leaving you with just ABS sensor faults which are not hard to diagnose/fix.