Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turns over fine - Won't Start - Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turns over fine - Won't Start - Intermittent

On my 2001 Disco 2, yesterday, my wife went to the mall and when she came out it wouldn't start. Turned over strong, but no start. After letting it sit for a bit as I was heading that way, she tried it again and it started right up. I told her to try to come on home (I was behind her at this point). We got about a mile or so down the road to a red light where she stopped at and it died. I called a tow truck and we pushed it over to the side. After letting it sit for a little bit while we waited for a tow truck, she tried it again and it started right up. We decided to try to make it home and it did fine (about 3 miles).

Once we got it home I tried swapping out the fuel pump relay and had the same problems. Would crank fine but sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. It fired right up this morning with no problem.

I'm leaning toward a crank position sensor which I'm going to go ahead and get today and replace since that's the next less costly thing to replace. It's got approx 130,000 miles on her right now and I did a full top engine rebuild last year.

I guess it could be the fuel pump also. I've not listened for the pump when it wouldn't start or checked pressure yet.. I'll be doing that today also.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

99% sure you need a new crank shaft position sensor. AutoZone I herd has the same exact bosch sensor but in a duralast box and $30 cheaper than Atlantic British.

Have fun getting to the plug. Better Ice down a 12 pack now

Last edited by Jared9220; 02-16-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just had the same issues 2 weeks ago. You need a new crank sensor.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Three Wheeling

I figured it was the crank position sensor... Thanks guys...

I just got back from Autozone with the new sensor. I'm really dreading this since it's cold outside with lots of snow and I don't have a garage.. argh...

I also picked up a set of really long pliers that I hope works for the plug. These are what I got: Great Neck Plier Set

Can it all be done from the top of the engine or do I have to get under the truck?

Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I too tried the pliers, eventually I just cut a hole in the fender liner:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e2/#post443936

You also MUST remove the sensor plug bracket to create enough room (at least, if you have large hands like me).

Old 02-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by silar
I figured it was the crank position sensor... Thanks guys...

I just got back from Autozone with the new sensor. I'm really dreading this since it's cold outside with lots of snow and I don't have a garage.. argh...

I also picked up a set of really long pliers that I hope works for the plug. These are what I got: Great Neck Plier Set

Can it all be done from the top of the engine or do I have to get under the truck?
Sorry to say it, but you have to get under the truck to take off the sensor. I would get a piece of plywood to lay on because you are going to be on the ground for most of the repair

Old 02-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Since the CPS plug is a huge pain in the *** to get to and it is snowing and really cold, you might decide you want to do what this guy did and cut a flap in his fender liner to get access to the plug. It's your truck so it's your call. I just thought I would give you another option.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ed-road-64635/

Old 02-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Could I use Ramps or do I really need jack stands?

Old 02-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by silar
Could I use Ramps or do I really need jack stands?
Sure you can use ramps if you can get it to run long enough to drive it up on them. Don't pick the truck up to much or you won't be able to reach the plug from underneath.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I have found that a plastic tarp allows you to slide under easily in the snow and keeps you from getting wet from the melting snow you are laying on.

Quick Reply: Turns over fine - Won't Start - Intermittent