Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh oh... Knocking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Uh oh... Knocking Noise

Its the best kind of knocking, a catalytic converter is on its way out, not my engine imploding. I can't even hear my engine over that and my brand new failing PS pump.

Anywho, I don't want to just buy a y pipe, as I'm rerouting my exhaust to 3-link the front end in a month or so during my axle swap. So I can't have my passenger side exhaust where it is now, it needs to be relocated to the drivers side.

My idea: Just cut the hell out of everything, reuse the flanges, route the passenger and the drivers side down pipe into a y pipe fitting on the drivers side out of the way of the 3rd link, then just after the y pipe weld one larger universal catalytic converter to compensate for the two pipes, then pretty much redo the entire exhaust post catalytic converter, so it'll sound throaty, as well as give me as much horsepower as my stickers on the truck do, and not code.

My question... will this shady idea even get relatively close to working? Specifically the catalytic converter.

Last edited by Dane!; 05-20-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You should be able to make it work. I had a cat on a Ford F-150 that had a dual inlet and a single outlet. It was a pretty sizeable piece but it might work. The other option is to stagger the convertors but you will be hard pressed to find the space.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The space is a huge factor. I can't fit two cats on the drivers side, but I can fit a large one. I'll take pictures when I do it, worst that can happen is that it doesn't work, no damage can be done really.

Does anyone know off the top of their head the inlet size and post cat size of exhaust tubing?

Last edited by Dane!; 05-20-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure. Only thing I've seen with dimensions was a writeup for a D1 which said 2 1/8" OD for the inlet pipes. Looks like a little time on your back is in order. Might want to wait for the cats to cool down first.

The other option is the no cats and anti-fouler routine or some nice resistors.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have to get under the truck anyways to remove another driveshaft, I was just hoping some might've known off the top of their heads.

I don't really want to try to "fool" the ecu either, it seems it will never back to the same. I would rather do a legit swap the first time and never look back.

I have two options:

1) Run the two exhaust tubes into a y pipe then just buy a single inlet cat
2) Run a dual inlet cat

# 2 might be harder to route the pass side tube to it, not quite 100% sure yet.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:46 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't hack the truck with goofy parts from other vehicles unless you want the truck to own you.

you have not spent hours testing the components for durability as Land Rover did when they made the truck.

Only use OEM.

Creative is cool.
Until you are on the side of the road.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Have to the hack it. I can't use the OEM cats when doing a 3 link. I would if I could. Rerouting the exhaust has been done by others who have done the very same thing I am doing. Worst comes to worst I trick the post cat o2 a little.

I'm not doing this solely for the purpose of a creative exhaust, but for a better functioning suspension.