Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ultimate trail rover

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ultimate trail rover

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

I know we've had the tire discussion before, but I really believe it comes down to where you go off-roading. I've done a fair amount of off-roading over the past 15 years and have seen super swampers go in 2WD where M/Ts can barely go in 4wd time after time. Here in north Georgia red clay is everywhere and packs in between the lugs, after only a few seconds with M/Ts you have what looks like a racing slick. Enough horsepower to clear them out helps to a degree, but clay is very persistant to hang in there.

you guys are probably right about the diesel conversion being way too much time and money. I just want some that can be repaired while on the trail and as we all know the DII 4.0 design does not fit the bill.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE super swampers!! They're my favorite tire for off road only. But geez!! now-a-days everyone seems to be throwing them on their street rigs! haha. At least near me! (just an observation, didn't mean to offend anyone) I agree That 99% of M/Ts clog up in thick mud/clay where the big voids of the Swampers clears the goo much easier. The 4.6 is the next "easiest/cheapest" swap.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

around here mickey thompsons are the poser tire that look good on the street but never go off-road. We run soft compound bias ply swampers so they dont make it very long as street tires.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I for one will vouch for the capabilities of a vehicle equipped with SuperSwampers. Yeah they such gas, make all kinds of noise, slow you down, make it hard to go up hills on the highway, and all that junk.

Thats becuase they aren't meant to be street driven. Off road there is little to nothing that can compare to them. Your best bet however is to get a extra set of rims with them mounted to it so that you can take them off when you don't need them. Like me, I have five street tires, then I have another five rims with Superswamper TSL's and I only mount them when I know I'm going to be doing something serious.

(Don't mind my friend Jeff in the picture. lol[8D] )

Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

One of the benefits of a narrower tire is that you "sink" into the mud and the side biters get to do their stuff.
With a fatter tire you "float" across the mud and then once you get caked with mud you have no traction.
This is why a 235/ or a 245/ tire is better than a 265/ for example.
If you have insurance, like a winch, than you can go through mud with all season tires.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Winching

ORIGINAL: Spike555

One of the benefits of a narrower tire is that you "sink" into the mud and the side biters get to do their stuff.
With a fatter tire you "float" across the mud and then once you get caked with mud you have no traction.
This is why a 235/ or a 245/ tire is better than a 265/ for example.
If you have insurance, like a winch, than you can go through mud with all season tires.
Here of some vids of Super skinny vs. Super wide in mud. Both jeeps, sorry!

Red jeep has a 327 or a 350 engine I believe, with 52" tractor tires
Blue jeep has a 350 on 40" TSLs Really wide

I don't think they have lockers.. not sure.

: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpaYUDWY5yQ&feature=related

: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_c7lqHqjmw

: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGnQ6cdsCK8

: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLRpK3P1R94&feature=related

Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Winching

The red jeep gets through everything fairly easy. The blue one has to hit the gas much harder/more often.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in FL, NOBODY runs a narrow tire, it's the fastest way to get yourself stuck.. The wider the better.. It may bedifferent if i couldput tractor tires on the rover.. Around here we have water on top, mud in the middle, and silt underneath. With narrow tires, your truck gets about 10' into any hole and starts falling through the quicksand. The smaller lightweight trucks that can stay on top go much further. I.E. everyone around is running lifted suzuki samurai's with 33's or 35's. And the nitto terra grapplers are the "poser" tire in Merritt Island

Old 10-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you are driving through the swamp then yes, you need Super Swampers, but for the rest of use who encounter snow, mud, sand, water etc. do not need them.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Winching

ORIGINAL: tailchaser0527

Here in FL, NOBODY runs a narrow tire, it's the fastest way to get yourself stuck.. The wider the better.. It may bedifferent if i couldput tractor tires on the rover.. Around here we have water on top, mud in the middle, and silt underneath. With narrow tires, your truck gets about 10' into any hole and starts falling through the quicksand. The smaller lightweight trucks that can stay on top go much further. I.E. everyone around is running lifted suzuki samurai's with 33's or 35's. And the nitto terra grapplers are the "poser" tire in Merritt Island
All those videos were taking in South Florida. Your absolutely right with the terrain. Water on top, then mud, then silt..

The thing is, If the mud/silt is only 10 inches deep before you hit solid ground and your axle is 15inches high. It wouldbe best to use a skinny tire. If it is 30 inches deep until solid ground.. Well you either need Some really tall tires or a wider tire to "float" accross it, instead of dig down.

I used to have nitto grapplers.

Yeah, there are a few zuks here too. A ton of jeeps and light size pick ups on 33s to 37s. My 285s measure about 11"s wide. Which isn't Too skinny, but not too wide either. I like how they work with the weight of my rig. Just about everyone else has 12.5" to 15" wide tires.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Someone else said it better than I ever could...

I'm assuming that traction is the amount of friction between the tire and the road. There are all kinds of things that will happen with lower air pressure, depending on the terrain. A couple examples would be mud, snow, and sand. In mud and snow, too little pressure and you get a lot of flotation where the tires will have a tendency to keep the vehicle on top the surface where it will slip and slide all over the place. You may get from point A to point B, but not in a very straight line. When the pressure is too low you may not get stuck, but you will have a problem keeping up your forward momentum which may result in you wandering all over the place. In this case, you'd be better off with a bit more air pressure. The same thing happens in the snow. There are some instances in snow and off-road where a tall, skinny tire is much better. In areas where you have permafrost conditions a skinny tire allows the tire to cut down through the loose unpacked snow to the hard ground, and get traction. A narrow tire doesn't plow the snow like wide high flotation tires. That's why trucks with snow plows usually have tall narrow tires. In the sand, too little air, and the tire doesn't work well either, since the tire tread area will start to fold over itself and create less flotation and traction. In the case of fairly round tires with little or no tread, it can, in some situations actually help, since the folding and rolling of the tread area of the tire starts to act like a paddle tire. In this situation, too little air pressure can actually help.

http://flashoffroad.com/features/Tires/tires_01.htm
I see guys in Colorado running tires too wide for the rocks and dirt we have on our trails. What winds up happening is they slide all over the place and can't get up any steep grades. Their tires float over the rocks and dirt giving very little traction. I decided on a narrower tire to get more pressure on the contact patch. It all depends on what kind of off roading you plan to do.
Cheers,

Pete

Quick Reply: ultimate trail rover