Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra gauge or $50 tablet with Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016 | 09:21 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Ultra gauge or $50 tablet with Torque?

In just getting an '01 Disco, I used OBD Fusion on an iPad for the drive home.

I was thinking of getting a $50 android tablet and Torque as a means of monitoring engine health. I'd jut leave the tablet in there and not have to constantly set up my phone or iPad to do it.

Just a thought...

Old 12-21-2016 | 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Both work very well, but I think you get a little more info out of the ultra gauge.

Old 12-21-2016 | 10:20 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Really? Does the ultra gauge pull ABS stuff or get Rover proprietary PIDs?

Old 12-21-2016 | 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

No but the Torque pro app I have found is missing some sensor data that the ultragauge has available. The other nice thing is that the ultraguage is connected all the time and giving you data. For coolant temps some people think this is a must. Due to the pathetic coolant temp gauge our rovers are known for.

For 99.9% of it though I'm sure Torque and a Tablet will get you squared away.

Old 12-21-2016 | 11:19 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Ah, now were getting into some details I'd like to see. Do you know what some of the sensors that Torque can't get? And I agree on the constantly hooked up deal (as well as the pathetic OEM temp gauge) but was looking for something perhaps a bit more elegant in a manner of speaking. It could also do some other functions like navigation and music once I put in a new stereo.

Old 12-21-2016 | 12:35 PM
Mudding

My opinion. 04 HSE came to me with 165,000 on it and since I had been reading the forums for months ahead of my purchase the second thing I ordered for it was an ultra gauge. In retrospect I should have bought one when I first started looking for a suitable disco to help me diagnose them and make a better informed decision.

30,000 miles later and I've done quite a bit of work including a new head unit that gives me the magic of bluetooth. I've gone from navigating and playing music using my iPhone to an iPad mini that doesn't ever leave the vehicle. Great for Waze, Google Maps, Pandora and my music files. Not too big, not too small, just about perfect. It will even work with the wireless bluetooth back up camera that I'm leaning towards.

But... Even though I have the means to monitor my disco with an app like Torque, I still keep the ultra gauge mounted and running because it gives me real time at a glance. It's got tons of functionality and you can customize at least the last screen (7 of 7 screens) to put your own personal hit list of things to monitor. I can watch my engine & oil temps along with mileage info and it's been pretty much invaluable to me. Plus it reads and clears a fair amount of codes. I have been lucky enough to not tangle with the three amigos but every other code that it's thrown has been readable AND diagnose-able with the ultra gauge and this forum.

Go with the ultra gauge, you won't regret it. And when you switch head units you can get a tablet and have fun with that too. Things like music and maps can take a minute to load or switch between and that's ok. But when things aren't going right and you have lights on the dash and chimes going off you will want to be able to look at your gauges and the information they are giving you without any delay! Trust me on that!

Old 12-21-2016 | 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Or you could put in one of the Android head units. They are getting much more reasonably priced. They will also link up to the OBD II adapters. If you have phone that can hotspot it is fantastic. I have one currently in my Expedition. I mounted a tablet up in the Defender 110. I would rather put in a head unit in the 110 as well but so far the tab has to do. No OBD II on that old girl though lol.

I don't recall off the top of my head which sensors were limited on the DII been awhile. Neither are going to do ABS and if you mount up the tab or go with the head unit you can start torque whenever you want.

I like the flexibility, of the tab or android headunit. Plus you can watch video's while your waiting for the tow truck

Old 12-21-2016 | 03:30 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

OK, I just did some research on the ultra gauge site and they actually have an app for mobile devices as well. In terms of capability, it seems there is no difference between their wired and wireless solution. As such, I have a hard time believing that there are more or less sensors with them as opposed to another solution like OBD fusion or Torque.

Old 12-21-2016 | 03:52 PM
Three Wheeling

I use the torque app with an old 4.7''android phone

Old 12-22-2016 | 04:57 AM
Camel Trophy

I went with the Bluetooth UltraGauge only because I have an iPhone. I'm very impressed with the many options it can monitor and how you can select what you want to monitor and add it on different screens.
I recently bought a used iPad mini (which also has the Rave manual and other PDF files for maintenance) for $50 just for my Disco so I can use UltraGuage.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 12-22-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Ultra gauge or $50 tablet with Torque?