Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 12:41 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ultra gauge

Seems to be the thing to fit, and looks like plug play, I looked on the us website and it only had the 4.6 engine as an option.
are there any dos and donts ?
the wired in version seems to be the simplest, from what I’ve seen

Old 04-02-2020, 02:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

4.0 and 4.6. Anything 1999-2004. Plug it in. Done. One of the rare things you can buy today without wasting hours of time with instructions, downloading, creating passwords filling out forms bla bla. It's older technology and works perfect. Simple and easy and will last years. It is worth every penny and is a must have for temperature readings.Set the max temp and it beeps at you. It has saved me from overheating 3 times now.

Last edited by LeatherBoots; 04-02-2020 at 02:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeatherBoots:
jastutte (04-02-2020), Wheelspin (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 02:33 AM
Mudding

Thanks I’m looking on amazon now but out of stock, I’ll try on eBay as well.
One of The sellers is talking about a different model as some discos have a modified port, sigh

Last edited by Wheelspin; 04-02-2020 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

The Ultra-Gauge Blue is another great option from their company.
It's has a Bluetooth ODB dongle that your can pair to your smart phone or tablet and you can customize it to monitor anything your want.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:40 AM
Mudding

Tying to get one in Aussie, he has an em plus, but says it doesn’t read his mates disco, is there a different model that I can’t see

Old 04-02-2020, 05:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Ahhhh.... since you mentioned it, some monitor units don't work well for Td5 engines. The Ultra-Gauge Blue that I mentioned doesn't work with Td5 engines.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 857 Likes on 623 Posts

The Ultragauge does require some set up. You have to select which "gauges" are displayed on each page, and how many pages of data you want to see.

After fiddling around with alternatives years ago after I first got my Ultragauge I settled on two pages, With the pages alternating every three seconds.

As you can see, I have engine temp and trip MPG at the top of p.1 plus the smaller four spaces show miles since last oil change, fuel level (questionable), instant MPG, and volts.

Page 2 is all about the O2 sensors. Upstream O2 sensor voltages are in the top two spots so I see them switching above and below 0.45 volts. Short-term and long-term fuel trims fill the bottom four spots.

Attached Thumbnails Ultra gauge-photo986.jpg   Ultra gauge-photo827.jpg  

Last edited by mln01; 04-02-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

Another option (which is what I've got) is ScanGauge, they make a few models, including one for diesels, but I think that might be specifically for mobile homes and big rigs. I've got the cheapest, simplest one, the ScanGauge E- which can only display two gauges live time. I've got mine set up for coolant temp and voltage but is also gives a rolling graph of fuel economy, not that I'm terribly worried about that. Like the Ultragauge it's just plug and play, very simple set up. I like it because it's small and discreet, but I just realized/learned it's more expensive then the ultragauge by about $20.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

I use a $25 setup, $15 for the WiFi/Bluetooth ODBII dongle and $10 for OBD Fusion, and I'm really happy with it. HOWEVER, it does not seem to have an alarm feature which is a bit of a deal breaker with regard to the biggest benefit of the Ultragauge. Perhaps a future release of the software would be able to incorporate this feature. In any event, the amount of customizable screens seems endless and basically anything going on inside the ECU can be ported out to some kind of readout. There is a small amount of lag between screen updates but nothing that would lead to something catastrophic happening between polling. The latest iOS supports shared screens so I can split between Waze and OBD Fusion. I also keep this iPad Mini loaded with music so with the aid of a bluetooth FM transmitter I get music and nav over the Disco audio system. If I could only get a temp warning alarm it would be complete!

The ODB Fusion software will also read and clear basic codes, and has a lookup feature where it will go to the web to try and decipher what an unsupported code could mean. So far I haven't come up on any codes it won't clear, when I was troubleshooting my AC last week I had the compressor relay out and it threw a "manufacturers" code P1536. OBD Fusion found a few results, some of which looked scary but one referenced an AC compressor problem and I realized it was self induced. I was able to clear it and all is right again. There are plenty of other features in there as well which I haven't even used.

Another great feature that I have used a bunch is the data logging, which can then be dumped into Excel to create graphs and charts. Here's one from a quick drive the other night. Again, the number of parameters you can log is mind-numbing however I was specifically interested in watching what the coolant temp did under various driving conditions, and I threw a few others on there as well. It also logged the latitude and longitude and by copy/pasting a selection of each into google it will bring up a map showing you where you where when the data was obtained. By highlighting the cells in the MPG column that corolated to the long flat MPH area on the graph I was able to determine that my average fuel economy on this stretch of highway driving was nearly 18MPG with the cruise set at 67.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of an Ultragauge by any means. Despite having a brightly colored 3" gauge two feet away from me it's too easy to get lulled into complacency when temps are generally static, and that alarm feature is worth all the marbles.. I just figured this would be a good place to mention this setup.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

try going directly through ultragauge website. i believe i bought the gauge from amazon, but i bout the mount from their website. less than $10 and fast shipping.

Quick Reply: Ultra gauge