Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

underwhelmed with cdl

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 02:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default underwhelmed with cdl

What has other peoples experience been with the effectiveness of the CDL? Just finished installing mine and a d1 shifter and Im kind of underwhelmed by the difference between it and just plain old traction control. When I threw that lever for the first time and locked it in I was expecting rainbows and unicorns and ended up just kind of ho hum. I tested it on two spots I thought would make the cdl shine, one is a severe up hill cross axle which makes one back and one front tire almost off the ground. I pulled up as far as traction control would let me go and then locked cdl, no more forward motion just spinning. The next test was a steep muddy farm road, it was slick Ill give it that, 2 inches of freshly melted mush on top of frozen mud. Once again went as far as traction control would go and then locked it in, still no forward motion. did make it up with a judicious use of throttle and a good long back up and run.
I know the cdl is truly locking, dash lights up like it should. I also jacked up front end, put it in neutral and tried to spin the tire by hand, it would spin when the cdl was unlocked but not when cdl was locked. Maybe I am expecting to much.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:07 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It makes a world of difference here when driving on sand. The traction control applies the brakes if the wheels slip when driving up a sand dune, destroying your momentum.

With the centre diff lock engaged, and the fuse pulled from the ABS/TC, I can keep going much longer and make better progress.

Remember, the CD only distributes the torque 50:50 front:rear. Your axles still have open differentials so if you lose traction on one front wheel, it will spin away all the power going to the front and the same applies to the rear.

I would suggest engaging the CDL BEFORE you grind to a halt so that you are less likely to actually grind to a halt.

Last edited by Richard Moss; 01-18-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Perhaps it's those street slicks

Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Me thinks your hopes were too high and/or you don't fully understand how the CDL works. If you want rainbows and unicorns you'll need a differential locker in each axle.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

In fact I do have a very good grasp on how differentials function and the physics on their shortcomings in regards to available traction. Just was expecting too much of a difference from just plain traction control. I suppose the racing drag slicks might be a contributing factor.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

About as easy to slide one ice cube as it is to slide 2

Old 01-18-2015, 12:29 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have noticed a difference driving in deep snow with mine. The TC kicks on a lot more without the CDL engaged. The TC works very well in these trucks for most situations so you aren't going to have a big increase in traction like you would engaging 4WD on a 4WD/2WD truck.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
About as easy to slide one ice cube as it is to slide 2
This is true, as they say a "bird in hand is worth more then two in the bush". Some how that relates to ice cubes.
I guess I was expecting the kind of night and day difference of 2wd to 4wd. I re-ran the cross axle obstacle and had a passenger note the wheels spinning on passenger side while I watched the drivers side. All 4 where spinning, so I guess this is a tire/ too steep issue, vs a traction control /cdl issue.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 94svt50
I suppose the racing drag slicks might be a contributing factor.
ya think?

Old 01-18-2015, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

yeah, I hate mud. all 4 trying to get a bite and I still find myself using the winch. unless your big chunky mud terrains are cleaning their teeth, you will find yourself on a treadmill, at times. when you get on some shifty loose earth, some inclines, some sand, etc...you will notice

Quick Reply: underwhelmed with cdl