Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unhappy Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011 | 12:17 PM
|
Drifting
Default Unhappy Disco II

Hey there, Here is the chain of events.... 1999 discovery II 179K Miles...running great till now

I had a cylinder that was not firing intermittently (#1) and finally went offline completely.

-I thought plugs might be the cause (I had done them in Nov of 2010 only 6k miles ago). Changed plugs, no change

-Pulled intake head and changed injectors, during pull, found plug with was off of coil pack...changed injectors anyhow and reassembled head.

-During testing many cylinders offline...forgot to plug in one of the coil packs (Doh!) plugged it in.

-Engine running on all 8, but "S" and "M" gear lights on dash lit with "D" blinking. On the shifter, red light next to D blinks too while driving. Unit seems to be in survival mode.

-Plugged in Computer, getting a consistant PO123 (Throttle position sensor high out of range fault). I am also getting intermittent misfire "POP", not all the time though, sounds like fuel advance/timing issue.

-Took to testbook, reset codes and set to learn mode again

-Day later, all transmission lights mentioned 2 steps before are still on, and it popped a couple times on startup this morning, but does ok normally

I am not driving too fast as not to blow the oil pump on RPM, I am being gentle. WHat should I be looking for? Loose wire still?

OK...Thoughts? And thank you in advance for any assistance with this!!!

Old 09-13-2011 | 12:27 PM
Baja

is the truck charging? If I remember right the M&S light blinking signals a charging problem.

Old 09-13-2011 | 12:30 PM
|
Drifting

I can check that tonight, new battery installed. Tach goes to 2K on start up, but the engine idles OK.usually indicates a bad Alternator too..perhaps I should check my grounds too. Thank you!

Anyone else with things to check?

Old 09-13-2011 | 01:47 PM
|
Drifting

OK...Found the Throttle Position sensor not on all the way....She popped and pissed for about 10 seconds and then mellowed out...I need to go load test her now, but this might be a win for the home team.

I also cleaned all power and ground connections, including the ones on the alternator, the tach is still stuck on 2K when running (returns to 0 when off). NAyone got thoughts on this last piece of the puzzle?

Old 09-13-2011 | 02:06 PM
|
Drifting

Did the load test, still throwing a few codes and Cylinder 1 running rough
-PO172
-PO152
-PO301 (#1 Cyl)

Running rich and bad cyl...maybe fix the cylinder 1st?