Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my progress with 04 D2!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my progress with 04 D2!

Just thought since alot of you helped with all the ?'s I had , I would keep you up on all my progress. Here is the list I've done so far.
2004 D2. 76k
Magnacor 8mm wires
Bosh platnum+4 plugs
Fram air filter
ATF engine flush,
Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w40, after 500 miles I'll change again.
Mobil 1 M1-301 Oil filter
Tranny flush with Filter kit
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic tranny fluid + Lucas additive/Treatment
Coolant flush, Havoline XLC Extended Life
T-Case changed with 75w90 Lucas Full Synth.
Both axles changed with 75w90 Lucas Full Synth. (Soon replace with brass plugs.)
Power steering flush with Red Line Full Synth + Lucas Additive/Treatment
1 Seafoam can in manifold and 1 can in gas tank(smoked bad and through CE light, but cleared)
Surpentine Belt
New H7 HID Kit Replacement Bulbs LB and H7 HB(It had the ballast and kit already on it)
Next is the brakes and brake fluid when I put my lift on. Then O2 sensers.
My tires and winch came in and everything from RTE shipped yesterday. Finally.
Still need to update my battery and buy two lights for the bumper. Also Sway bar diss connects, hightlift 60' with platform, two jerry cans/1 fuel, 1 water. with some type of bracket.
I dont have a roof rack so I'll have to figure out a mounting spot inside or on bumper. I have a axe /shovel kit from the Marine Corps. Also a CB and GPS. It would be nice to have the ScanGuage aslo. Synth. rope, but it is expensive. Amsteel5/16x100 rated at 13,700lbs for $189. or 3/8x100 rated at 24,400lbs for $249. Still trying to figure out the wheel situation. Keep stock 16x8 and use wheel spacers for $450 so tire dont rub on front radius arms. Buy new 16x8 steels at $105 apiece, so $550 shipped and they will take 3-5weeks. Last, I found a set of 4 16x8 steelies for $200 + 100 for shipping. Then need a spare so $120 shipped for the spare and might not exactly match since the guy doesnt know what brand they are. So thats $420 total for that idea plus I would have to paint them again. I'm leaning twords just buying new ones for only $100 more than dealing with those used and a spare. Sorry so long, but I had to get it all out!!! Any suggestions orcridicism would help. Thanks

Old 10-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Update on my progress with 04 D2!

thats a lot of stuff you have done there... and a lot more you plan on doin... its good, keep us updated, especially with the lift and mounting the cans and things of that nature...
________
Cute_****

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

What winch did you wind up getting? The steel cable will be fine for now, so don't worry about the syn. line. Wait till you have a kink or too much fraying of the steel line and then switch over. And don't worry about the O2 sensors unless you are getting error codes. There are a lot of other things that money can go to based on what you're doing with your truck. I posted a reply to Landzu's inquiry about batteries. Check it out if you have a chance. Sounds like you'll have a great truck.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Winching

Pics when the 4x4 gear is on please.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks fellas, I got the XRC Off Road 10,000lb Smittty Built with the Lifetime Warranty. I was thinking about the synth. rope for the wheight. The steel cable seems heavy. Your right, I can wait on that for now. I wanted the BFG KM2 but they were expensive, so I got the Procomp Extreme Mud Terrains. Buy 4 get 1 free plus free warranty. They look great.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Truck looks like it's in good shape, wish I had the money to do that much work. Where'd you buy your tires from? I've been looking at those same ones, but haven't seen them as a Buy 4 get 1 free deal.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Don't worry about weight. The steel line is about 25 lbs. heavier than a syn line. The tires you have are adding way more weight, along with the RTE bumper and winch itself. Just be sure to carry a towel/jacket/old bathroom floor mat to put over the steel cable when you use it. You may need to respool the winch under a slight load. I don't know if that manufacturer recommends it, but Warn does. They say to use a 500 lbs. load when respooling the line. You can hook to the back of someones truck and respool with your truck in neutral. It's best done with two people. One person inside your truck controlling the winching in and another outside making sure the cable spools correctly, especially when a new wrap starts around the drum.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Three Wheeling

hazletbasset89
I got them from 4 Wheel Parts 2 weeks ago and there add was ending in 3 days from when I ordered. It looks like National Tire still has it. If anything try to call and say you wont buy unless they give you that deal. 10 % off is almost as good. Once I did the numbers, they were pretty close.

The tire is Procomps best. Ina Off-Road Adventure Magazine August 06',I have, This is what it says about the Xtreme M/T, quote, "It is for those off roaders who want more performance from there M/T. It is manufactured with Xtreme Traction Compound (XTC), this is aextremely sticky rubber compound. It has 3-ply sidewall called Tri-Ply sidewall construction, combined with 2 layers of nylon that spans the tread surface, gives the Xtreme M/T up tp a 10-ply rating. This tire will give your vehical maximum traction in the mud, snow, rock, and perform well in the sand. On the street it provides Low Noise levels and provides long tread life." end quote.
Like I said, I wanted the BFG KM2 but now that I look at pics of it, it looks pretty boney and blockey. They probably look beter in person just like when I got these in.This tire is built just as good and has some better style. I will see once its on the rover.

Disco2Guy
Thanks for the info. I do have experience with a winch, since I have had 2. I've always used some force when respooling, so thats what I'll try with this winch. Everything I am putting on is heavy but for what I'm doing with it, is necessary. Cutting any corners on weight now will be good for the parts that I can. Money is always an issue though. Your waiting on a RTE front bumper right? Did you get the brush guard or bull bar? Thanks again, you always have some great advice!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: ek5usmc

The tire is Procomps best. In a Off-Road Adventure Magazine August 06', I have, This is what it says about the Xtreme M/T, quote, " It is for those off roaders who want more performance from there M/T. It is manufactured with Xtreme Traction Compound (XTC), this is a extremely sticky rubber compound. It has 3-ply sidewall called Tri-Ply sidewall construction, combined with 2 layers of nylon that spans the tread surface, gives the Xtreme M/T up tp a 10-ply rating. This tire will give your vehical maximum traction in the mud, snow, rock, and perform well in the sand. On the street it provides Low Noise levels and provides long tread life." end quote.
Like I said, I wanted the BFG KM2 but now that I look at pics of it, it looks pretty boney and blockey. They probably look beter in person just like when I got these in. This tire is built just as good and has some better style. I will see once its on the rover.
Adds are adds... Performance is a whole 'nother story.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm waiting for the RTE, as in when next tax season rolls around for the bumpers. I'm going to go all out. Full brush bar, light guards, skid plate, and tabs for the limb risers. Depending on what my return is, I may try to get the rear bumper at the same time.

Quick Reply: Update on my progress with 04 D2!