Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Oil cooler hose leak at connection

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:37 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Upper Oil cooler hose leak at connection

Hi Guys

This is my first Land Rover and I was hoping I could find some help. Ive searched this forum and have found other oil cooler hose leak threads but none that have the same leak that I'm having a problem with.
I have a 2000 Land Rover discovery II. My upper oil cooler hose was leaking so I bought a new one. The problem that I am having is that where the hose connects to the rad it leaks. I have added a picture of where the leak is coming from. Please help. If you require more pictures Ill take more.Thank you for your time in reading my question.
Ive added more pictures, I got the new hose and I still cant get it to stop leaking when I try to clamp the connection to the hose. Is there any type of tool that can aid in getting that to connect better. I always seem to think I get it to "click" into position but it always leaks. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Upper Oil cooler hose leak at connection-oil-leak.jpg   Upper Oil cooler hose leak at connection-photo-3-b.jpg   Upper Oil cooler hose leak at connection-photo-4-.jpg   Upper Oil cooler hose leak at connection-photo-5-b.jpg   Upper Oil cooler hose leak at connection-photo-7-b.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-27-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Transmission oil cooler pipe.
I believe there is a O-ring that goes in there, otherwise it needs to snap securely in place.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at Microcat and it only shows 'o' rings at the engine connections, I suspect the sealing rings are integral to that coupling. Is that the new hose leaking? If so you may have damaged the seal installing it (or it was defective in the box).

Old 06-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Make sure that it "snaps" when you put it on. When I replaced my radiator, I.didn't snap it in hard enough and it came off in the parking lot of CVS. Now there is a big patch in the parking lot where the tranny fluid ate through. If you think you got it connected, you didn't. You will know when it snaps in.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
See attached. The shop manual page does not mention O rings (usually where O rings are found the manual says throw them out and replace with new). The oil cooler was actually discontinued after a certain VIN (Engine oil cooler Only applicable to vehicles up to VIN 756821)
If you look at his pic Buzz you can see the leak, the fluid is red, so what does that tell us?

Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe there should have been an o-ring with that. Look at your old part. Also, when I reconnected mine the one time it popped off under pressure. There are 3 little metal flaps that hold it in place. I gently pried them out a tad further and had a better connection.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:03 AM
4th Gear

Thanks guys for the advice. It was a new part and had warranty, so they are sending me a new one next week. Im hoping that it was just a bad part.

So is there an O ring that goes in there or not? Once the new part comes Ill check to see if it connects better and try prying the metal tabs out like you suggested Snafu. Thanks

Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't see how there is not an "O" ring in there.
The trans fluid is at what? 150 PSI or so?
I would think they would have put an "O" ring in.

This Picture from eBay has "O" rings on it.

Attached Thumbnails Upper Oil cooler hose leak at connection-%24%2528kgrhqnhjcme7zb5tcl5bpgrm-0dsq%257e%257e_35.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 01:49 AM
1st Gear

If its not too late, the upper "oil cooler" line does have an O ring in it, and the 3 metal tabs inside the snap on fitting will "click" on, when you slide it it. Make sure you slide it in all the way otherwise it will just blow off when driving under pressure. It must be on securely.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 AM
4th Gear

Never to late for information. Thanks a lot for the reply Brian, I'll make sure I listen for the click when putting the hose on. And make sure I have an O ring for it.

Quick Reply: Upper Oil cooler hose leak at connection