Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper transmission cooler pipe or line

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Upper transmission cooler pipe or line

I am trying to install a new upper transmission cooler line. I removed the old one easily owing to the fact it could bend it out. I am losing faith that I can install the new one without dropping the tranny. I am looking for advice as I do not want to drop the transmission. thanks, Kevin

Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Mudding

"It's easier to access if you drop the back of the transmission/transfer case, or remove the motor mounts to lower the engine."

Now that I am no longer under the Rover, relaxed and devoid of red fluid all over me, I googled my question and found this answer on a number of different forums.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are welcome!?...just so you don't feel like you are talking to your self.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing easy about either of those "solutions"

But yes, whoever put that oil line up top like that needs to be taken out and shot, in fact, whoever designed half the **** on the V8 driveline is an idiot.

Originally Posted by kdscott100
"It's easier to access if you drop the back of the transmission/transfer case, or remove the motor mounts to lower the engine."

Now that I am no longer under the Rover, relaxed and devoid of red fluid all over me, I googled my question and found this answer on a number of different forums.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Dumb question, when referred to as the upper cooling line, which side of the radiator does it hook to, drivers or passengers side?
My left cooler line , drivers side,has a failing quick disconnect and have just received my hose.
Thanks.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Mudding

Thanks. It was a major PITA trying to order it on the phone (the upper line on the transmission which connects to the lower line on the cooler.....). It is the one which requires contortionist capabilities to remove (and is the upper line on the transmission.) Cheers,

Last edited by kdscott100; 08-08-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Grammar....
Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did that job. Biggest pain ever. Worst job on the disco ever. Did it without dropping trans on the garage floor. The only real pain is getting the compression fitting in. You just need to remove the trans switch and get it out of the way, and have tons of patience. Small hands (which I don't have) helps. I think I was finally able to get it in using a small piece of wood to apply pressure as I tightened.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Mudding

Hello all. I had to lower the transmission with a 3 ton floor jack and a block of wood, and on the passenger side I had to remove the transmission mount completely. The switch on the driver's side like |Sanfu stated, has to be removed, in my case, to tighten the pipe up. I went to the engine bay and the rotten jerk leaks....I simply do not know what to do, other than (1) cut the hose and use a 1/2 hose with clamps which failed last time, or (2) get another cooler that has decent fittings. Any thoughts (as the plastic clip clicks, but the fluid comes out from under it.....

Old 08-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kdscott100
Hello all. I had to lower the transmission with a 3 ton floor jack and a block of wood, and on the passenger side I had to remove the transmission mount completely. The switch on the driver's side like |Sanfu stated, has to be removed, in my case, to tighten the pipe up. I went to the engine bay and the rotten jerk leaks....I simply do not know what to do, other than (1) cut the hose and use a 1/2 hose with clamps which failed last time, or (2) get another cooler that has decent fittings. Any thoughts (as the plastic clip clicks, but the fluid comes out from under it.....
Send a pic of both ends of the fitting. It leaks from the connection to the cooler? Do you get a nice "click" when pushing in? Does the collar (that you have to pull back to take it off the cooler) push back forward?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Mudding

Bringing this full circle. This repair was a major PITA. I ordered and installed a new (used) cooler and I am up and powering the oil industry again. The darn cooler outlet pipe became non circular due to previous jury rigging and the use of hose clamps so it would never seal properly nor sufficiently. DiscoMike - great speaking with you and thank you for your help. Sanfu, thank you too, for your emails and assistance.

Quick Reply: Upper transmission cooler pipe or line