Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent Purchase Question - Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Purchase Question - Transmission Issue

Hey all,

I went to check out a rover from a local dealer last night. The truck is a 2002 Se with 175k miles. Auto locks do not work, drivers seat motors do not work, headliner has a little sag, and one crack in back bumper. Otherwise very clean truck, new tires/breaks/etc the normal stuff.

Issue is the transmission shifts rough from second to third I believe. You can feel it buck or hiccup both on the upshift and downshift. It's not violent but it is there. And I've driven enough rovers to know that's not just a normal rover thing. I believe this means the transmission is terminal and will fail and need to be rebuilt at some point. Problem is I don't know enough or when it will fail. The guy has been personally driving it for over a year. I forgot to test out if this is an issue in the other modes.

Advice here? Should I run away? I've talked them down to $3k. It is really clean otherwise. They are offering a 3rd party power train warranty for a couple hundred bucks.

thanks for the advice, I'd like to give them an answer today!

Last edited by Bob_Bobber0; 03-30-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

run or get it way lower then 3k

Old 03-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You can get a decent truck with less miles for less than $3k

Old 03-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Drifting

It's tough to find a clean sorted one in atlanta for less than $3k. they are out there, but this is the year and color combo I want, so its a little compelling. I just have no idea how to judge the timeframe on the tranny.

This will be a second/weekend only car so it won't see many miles.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2001 disco SE7 $3,999 is one I am selling in the classified forum, I can let it go for 3k. 220k miles

Old 03-29-2017, 11:22 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobber0
Hey all,

I went to check out a rover from a local dealer last night. The truck is a 2002 Se with 175k miles. Auto locks do not work, drivers seat motors do not work, headliner has a little sag, and one crack in back bumper. Otherwise very clean truck, new tires/breaks/etc the normal stuff.

Issue is the transmission shifts rough from second to third I believe. You can feel it buck or hiccup both on the upshift and downshift. It's not violent but it is there. And I've driven enough rovers to know that's not just a normal rover thing. I believe this means the transmission is terminal and will fail and need to be rebuilt at some point. Problem is I don't know enough or when it will fail. The guy has been personally driving it for over a year. I forgot to test out if this is an issue in the other modes.

Advice here? Should I run away? I've talked them down to $3k. It is really clean otherwise. They are offering a 3rd party power train warranty from About | CARS Protection Plus for a couple hundred bucks.
thanks for the advice, I'd like to give them an answer today
!

OMG, you talked them down to $3K!!!! And they are still laughing all the way to the bank. WTF was the asking price $10,000? This truck on its best day, without a trans that might go **** up is $2K tops.

IMHO, either get ready to spend a lot of money on repairs/ fight with the B$ warranty company... OR..... while you still have money in your pocket, RUN YOUR A$$ OFF! You already know in your gut it's a dog.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I've been compelled to buy a problem truck based on its looks. Or it's color. I have a found those ones where you look at it and say damn....thats nice. I would not....in any way shape or form pay 3k for a truck with a major driveline issue. A tranny rebuild will cost you around 1500-2000. Give or take. If you have to have it, get it for 2k or less.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

3k is too much money for that rig. 3rd party warranties are a rip off and a nightmare. Shop around more, I hate to see someone throw money away.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Drifting

Thanks for all the advice guys - here's the ad: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ctd/6028202820.html

They have been very pleasant to work and deal with, but if the numbers don't work they don't work I suppose.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:23 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Op, I think is the truck @ Garrett. 2002 Land Rover Discovery Series Ii SE 4WD 4dr SUV In Marietta GA - Garrett Sales

And of course on CL: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ctd/6028202820.html

For giggles I called them, lets see if the story matches up. Told me this was "the owners car". I asked when the head gaskets and oil pump were replaced > answer... "I don't know, wait (he went to ask) never". I then asked was the transmission rebuilt/serviced > answer.... "no, it shifts great". That answer was quickly followed by, "We offer a warranty you can buy that if, and not to say that you will, but if you have trouble with the head gaskets or transmission it will be covered."

I'm sorry you are having trouble finding a truck, but these guys are full of

Quick Reply: Urgent Purchase Question - Transmission Issue