Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Discovery (01 or 03)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Used Discovery (01 or 03)?

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Do you mean the CDL or axle lockers?
Axle lockers can be put in any truck, doesnt matter the year and because the '01 and '03 have the same axles the price cost for lockers should be the same.
Wrong, you can not use lockers in a vehicle that does not have the ability to lock the t/case. If you tried, you would only have a lock up if the traction control sent power to an axle, it would go on and off in milla second and destroy itsel in a couple of miles of use off road.
Errrrrrr nope, yes you can use lockers in a Disco 2 whether it has a CDL or not. It does not matter.
The ETC system in a D2 can compare wheel speeds across each axle AND front to rear.

So if you have a front locker it will compare the speeds and brake upto 3 wheels, both fronts and 1 rear.

If you have 2 lockers, front and rear, it will compare front to rear axles and brake 2 wheels on same axle that are spinning the fastest. It wont care about a CDL or not.

And same for a rear locker only as the front, it will brake both rears and 1 front wheel.

The ETC system will function perfectly normal.
I can tell, you have never driven a D2, with no CDL off road. If I forget to engage my CDL, it will nearly tear my front locker out soon as I get into the rocks.
You can not run lockers without the CDL, PERIOD.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Mudsleetandsnow

So do either the 01 or the 03 have CDL?
All 99, 2000, most of the earlier 2001's and all the 04's have CDL.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Urban Panzer has a CDL in his DII. He drives it off road almost every weekend. Along with his DI.
Jeeps do not have a CDL yet they run lockers, so explain that one.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you mean the CDL or axle lockers?
Axle lockers can be put in any truck, doesnt matter the year and because the '01 and '03 have the same axles the price cost for lockers should be the same.
Wrong, you can not use lockers in a vehicle that does not have the ability to lock the t/case. If you tried, you would only have a lock up if the traction control sent power to an axle, it would go on and off in milla second and destroy itsel in a couple of miles of use off road.
Errrrrrr nope, yes you can use lockers in a Disco 2 whether it has a CDL or not. It does not matter.
The ETC system in a D2 can compare wheel speeds across each axle AND front to rear.

So if you have a front locker it will compare the speeds and brake upto 3 wheels, both fronts and 1 rear.

If you have 2 lockers, front and rear, it will compare front to rear axles and brake 2 wheels on same axle that are spinning the fastest. It wont care about a CDL or not.

And same for a rear locker only as the front, it will brake both rears and 1 front wheel.

The ETC system will function perfectly normal.
I can tell, you have never driven a D2, with no CDL off road. If I forget to engage my CDL, it will nearly tear my front locker out soon as I get into the rocks.
You can not run lockers without the CDL, PERIOD.
LOL, it seems its YOU who thinks your the only one who has EVER driven a D2 offroad....

You dont ever try to see anyone elses point of veiw, it always Mike's way or NO way

These are the FACTS.......believe them or not, I don't really care to be honest

ETC for all its mysteries simply applies the brakes to a wheel that the ABS sensors detect is spinning faster than the others. The more mechanical diff locks you have, the less ETC will have to do, as more of the wheels are mechanically forced to turn at the same speed.

Front diff Locked, Rear Diff Locked, Centre diff open:
Mechanical Result:
Wheels on front axle must spin at same speed. Front & rear axle may spin at different speeds. Rear Wheels must spin at same speeds.

ETC solution: compare speed of front and rear axles, apply brake to both front Or both rear wheels to slow which ever axle is spinning the fastest.

(Note: DII's ETC will compare each wheel to average and will only ever find that both front or both rears are simultaneously spinning faster than average, therefore will operate correctly)..........PERIOD

Old 10-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

And when the ETC throws all its torques to, lets say the left front, with no torque going to the rear diff, what then drives the rear lockers or visa versa??????

If I sound like I know a little more or have done more, trust me, I have. That is the pure simple truth and that is not to say I don't miss one once in awhile, but I have forgotten more about Rovers then most of you have yet learned. With time and experience you will learn more.

Spike, for your statement on Jeeps, over half the Jeep t/case, built over the last 10 years, when shifted from 2 wheel to either 4 high or 4 lo are fully locked and then can handle lockers.

I am posting this, not to sound like a smart ***, I just have a lot more experience then most of you.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And when the ETC throws all its torques to, lets say the left front, with no torque going to the rear diff, what then drives the rear lockers or visa versa??????

If I sound like I know a little more or have done more, trust me, I have. That is the pure simple truth and that is not to say I don't miss one once in awhile, but I have forgotten more about Rovers then most of you have yet learned. With time and experience you will learn more.

Spike, for your statement on Jeeps, over half the Jeep t/case, built over the last 10 years, when shifted from 2 wheel to either 4 high or 4 lo are fully locked and then can handle lockers.

I am posting this, not to sound like a smart ***, I just have a lot more experience then most of you.
With a front locker (for example ) the ETC system cannot "see" a left or right as they are both at the same speed, yes ? so it compares both fronts to the rears as an "average"

So all it can do is "brake" both front wheels, that should then send power to the rear via the open centre diff, if the rear has a locker installed, then both rear wheels should get drive / traction at the same speed or till they reach the same speed as the front axle.

Adding 1 or 2 lockers to any 4x4 is 100% more effective if you have a CDL, but its not to say you cannot do it if you dont have one

Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I did not know that about the Jeep t-case, Mike. Thats all youhad to say. That they lock when in lo range.
As for you knowing more than us, that may be so. So post it on the forum, dont post a "call me" reply, that does not help/teach the rest of us anything.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:30 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check the VIN on the 03 and see if it falls within the VIN Range for a possible oil pump failure.

The CDL can be added to an 03.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator

I did not know that about the Jeep t-case, Mike. Thats all you had to say. That they lock when in lo range.
As for you knowing more than us, that may be so. So post it on the forum, dont post a "call me" reply, that does not help/teach the rest of us anything.
There are times when it is easier to talk directly with someone, get down to the problem and the fix alot quicker so for those times I talk with directly, it is not to keep anything from the site.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

With a front locker (for example ) the ETC system cannot "see" a left or right as they are both at the same speed, yes ? so it compares both fronts to the rears as an "average"

So all it can do is "brake" both front wheels, that should then send power to the rear via the open centre diff, if the rear has a locker installed, then both rear wheels should get drive / traction at the same speed or till they reach the same speed as the front axle.

Adding 1 or 2 lockers to any 4x4 is 100% more effective if you have a CDL, but its not to say you cannot do it if you dont have one
You are entitled to your beliefs, I just have this problem with thinking you are right, spending the money just to find out they didn't get what they were looking for.
If you really want to confirm what I have stated, call Bill at Great Basins Rovers in Utah, he is the most knowledgable person on Rover drive trains in the States.

Quick Reply: Used Discovery (01 or 03)?