Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Discovery (01 or 03)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Used Discovery (01 or 03)?

This seems like benchracing. My Rover is better off road because I have ten stickers on it!!!

It is not that important to know whether or not diff locks work with or without a CDL. The biggest issue with not running a CDL is the momentum lost when you go off road, especially rock crawling. Before I had my CDL working, I would always lose momentum and sometime move backwards before the TC kicked in and sorted things out. You can see in this video the TC is not fast enough and I stop moving before it figures it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ew9AUHKsBU

With a CDL you do not have to wait for the TC to sort things out and send power from front to back (or vice-versa). Even with lockers a spinning wheel on the front or rear would mean wasted time while the TC figured out what was going on.

This whole argument rests on the fact that the TC works. The three amigos like to show up at the worst times. Before my CDL handle I was stuck in 1 wheel drive when the TC failed. Lockers or not the CDL makes a world of difference.

[:@],

Pete

Old 10-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

"It is not that important to know whether or not diff locks work with or without a CDL."
It is of the utmost importance to to know that it lockers will not work with out CDL cause of the cost to replace them when they gernade for locking and unlocking at the ETC will, which can be in millaseconds.
I am not sure why it is so hard to believe this does not work. After 30 plus years in the shop, believe me when I say it won't. Don't believe me, call, as I have already mentioned, Bill at Great Basins Rovers, he probably sells more drive line parts then anyone else in the States.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Rock Crawling

I believe you!

The problem is how fast the drivetrain starts moving before the ETC takes over. That much inertia being moved around is going to be hard on the differentials. With the CDL locked out there is much less wheelspin when I get a tire in the air.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-14-2008, 02:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem is how fast the drivetrain starts moving before the ETC takes over. That much inertia being moved around is going to be hard on the differentials. With the CDL locked out there is much less wheelspin when I get a tire in the air.
But that would not happen if both wheels are locked via a locker, you would only get a difference in the centre "open" diff , which is a differential exactly like on an axle...........It's no different........

plus we are not talking about how "bad" it is for the differentials, how much spin you get before ETC cuts in,or anything else, it was a discussion whether or not you can use lockers in vehicle with no CDL

Old 10-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Panzer,
Have you always had a hard time excepting that you are wrong. This is nothing personel, just a lack of true knowledge that you should start working on.
I have been in 4 clubs totaling in excess of 500 members and don't know one person without a locking t/case, in any brand of 4wheeler, that has lockers. What does that tell you??

Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Mike,
This is nothing personel, just a lack of true knowledge that you should start working on.
I consider how you have replied personal, and its not a case of me accepting I am wrong, I think you need to take a look closer to home. You think because of your experience in what ever you have done, means any one else knows **** all............You seem to enjoy trying to put others down...........

I don't really care whether or not you know 10,000 members from here to mars, and at NO point have Isaid its "normal" to have lockers without a CDL, the fact is YOU said you cannot do it, Yet you have provided NO reasons or factswhy except the ETC on a D2. Ref that, I have provided you with the FACTS and you still don't see it...........

Just because "people" don't do it, is not the issue.......I have already said a CDL is the best option first, but you seem to have ignored that part.........

This "was" a discussion, yet as usual you turn into a personal attack................

Im bored with it now ...................................

Old 10-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Administrator

So we dissagree, Having been in the auto/service business all my life, puts me a few steps up on you when it comes to mechanical knowledge.
Your statement, ".I have already said a CDL is the best option first, but you seem to have ignored that part......... ", has been ignored, it is just a false statement because with ANY 4wheeler, if you can lock the t/case, you can't use lockers.
Your are not willing to believe or except that and there is nothing I can do about it, but I do not want incorrect information, like this issue to be posted and believed by people who come to this site looking for help or guidance.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

OK, so I inquired ARB about this debate, I had to lie and say that I had a 2002 Discovery, but here is the e-mail that I sent to ARB and it is followed by their reply.

I have a 2002 Land Rover Discovery, it has Traction Control but no Center Locking Differential.
Do I was told that I must have the CDL before I can install axle lockers, is this true?
Any clarification in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Phil Lawrence

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Phil,

The Discovery II has Rover type axles front and rear, 24 spline with a 3.54 Gear Ratio. The ARB Locker part number is RD128 for both axles. There is no technical stipulation about the CDL.

Thanks,

Duffy Biggs

Customer Service

ARB USA

720 SW 34th Street

Renton, WA 98057

P: 425-264-1391

F: 425-264-1392

Duffyb@arbusa.com

http://www.arbusa.com

You can view ARB products specific to your vehicle by clicking here:

http://arbusa.com/Products/Accessorize-Your-Rig/53.aspx

Old 10-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Winching

lol.. sales rep.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

So we dissagree, Having been in the auto/service business all my life, puts me a few steps up on you when it comes to mechanical knowledge.
There you go again assuming you know more. Yet you have no idea what I do for a living..........

Quick Reply: Used Discovery (01 or 03)?