Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used tranny of rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Used tranny of rebuild kit?

Was experiencing some shuddering when I bought my disco and eventually decided to Service the tranny fluid. To my dismay it was pretty much completely burnt. So I did two consecutive changes and have been driving it around without much issue since then.

so last night's I decided to change the fluid again to see what kind of shape it was in a sure enough it was fairly burnt again. Not nearly as bad as before, just a slight brown tint and burnt smell, but definitely have friction issues.

So... what do you guys recommend, besides a professional rebuild? I'm not going to pay someone 3k to rebuild the stock tranny, not gonna happen lol.

In my mind, I can either get a $300 rebuild kit and do it myself (yes I know it's complicated), or buy a used one.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Discovery Transmissions - Complete

you can check them out. They are around $1500. I turned wrenches for a while and refused to rebuild transmissions. They are a major pia. Personally on any of my vehicles that are over 100k, I always add a bottle of Lucas trans stabilizer and it helps a lot. It's as thick as molasses but works great.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think I may do one more refill (that will make 4 since I've owned it) and add a bottle of tranny honey or something similar and see how much longer it lasts. I don't have much hope for it though, once they go black they never go back.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
I think I may do one more refill (that will make 4 since I've owned it) and add a bottle of tranny honey or something similar and see how much longer it lasts. I don't have much hope for it though, once they go black they never go back.
if not they have good prices at that link I posted. Well cheaper that what u thought

Old 03-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
if not they have good prices at that link I posted. Well cheaper that what u thought
Yeah not too bad but I'm still going to leave new/refurbished as a last resort lol. When the vehicle is only worth 4-5k it's hard to justify that kind of money when there are potentially good used units on ol'ebay

Old 03-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah not too bad but I'm still going to leave new/refurbished as a last resort lol. When the vehicle is only worth 4-5k it's hard to justify that kind of money when there are potentially good used units on ol'ebay
true but u get what you pay for on there sometimes

Old 03-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Id go used all the way. These transmissions have a great reputation, and they are cheap.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Id go used all the way. These transmissions have a great reputation, and they are cheap.
I did just find two discos in local pull yards so I may go that route. This will give me a chance to reseal my transfer case as well.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Pro Wrench

I did just find two discos in local pull yards so I may go that route. This will give me a chance to reseal my transfer case as well.
hell u can't beat that

Old 03-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

After working on mine from above and some underneath, I really don't want to ever pull the transmission....doesn't look like fun. Of course what transmission is fun?

Quick Reply: Used tranny of rebuild kit?