Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Job - Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 08:00 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Job - Please Advise

I am the owner of a Series I XD...About 3 weeks ago my LR dealer recently completed the 60,000 mile maintenance check in addition to replacing the rear brakes and change a a hose which was slowly dripping fluid (which was difficult to get to since it was located directly under the engine). Last evening, the "Check Engine" light lit up (but not blinking) -- so I dropped the car off at the LR dealer and they claim I need a "Valve Job." Does this seem right? Does one have to do with the other? Is this just a coinscidence? Do all Land Rover's Series I with 60,000 + miles need a valve job?

Background Info: When they were completing the 60,000 check - they had my vehicle for over 3 weeks...(blamed on being busy and needing parts). Thwe vehicle has had all it's maintenance checks and kept up very well...never takedn off road...now this suddenly happens...any comments/suggestions/recommendations...Please advise?

Thanks!

LandRoverXD@hotmail.com

Old 05-05-2005, 03:08 AM
Drifting
Default RE: Valve Job - Please Advise

Did the dealer say valve JOB or valve adjustment? I seriously doubt it would need a valve job at 60k. No one would be able to tell that, without a compression check. Unless it was so noisy to the point that anyone would know. Did they do a compression check? Man, If I were you I would sit tight for a few days and let some of the "Mechanics" here have a shot at this. I'm a retired autobody guy. I do all my own wrenching. But I still come here to bounce my mechanical questions around for a few days. Oh, Welcome aboard, be patient. Help will arrive

-Tom [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-05-2005, 12:41 PM
4wd Low

read my write up "certified warranty"

Old 05-05-2005, 01:18 PM
6th Gear

Yes, that is what the dealer is telling me, VALVE JOB...that they need to replace the valves etc. It especially bothers me since the vehicle is kept up mechanically by the dealer never missing an appointment, in addition to them having it for 3 weeks prior and doing some repairs AND NOW telling me there was no way to diagnose this (even though it happened exactly 3 weeks later) from being picked up from there shop. Any suggestions...I am located in NJ. You may e-mail directly at LandRoverXD@hotmail.com - thanks for all your hope, you don't know how much this all means to me for these responses. I will sit tight for a couple days...and look forward to the responses...hopefully they can throw the question around thier shops...and assist me in this forum!

Old 05-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Drifting

Holy crap!I read the warrantee post by mmeyer HOLY crap!!!!

I must say my 97 disco has over 110k on it and I haven't had a lick of trouble. if I were you I would find a good independent service guy and get a second opinion. I hate dealers as it is, but this just reinforced my view. My ability to do my own wrenching has saved me thousands of $$.

p.s. Anyone want to buy a used Land Rover!?

Good luck LR xd... let us know how you make out.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Winching

LRXD,

This is A common issue with NAS vehicles. Do A search.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:55 AM
4wd Low

I wanted to used the local garage but the car to the best to my knowlegde was under warranty. In fact the service department at the dealer said, "he would do something". (drain my bank account) I currently owe Landrover Milford, CT $500.00 (diagnostic charge) if I do not have them do the work.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:28 PM
4wd Low

find out the bill up to date and get it out of the dealership!

Old 05-08-2005, 07:20 PM
6th Gear
Default Codes: Please Decipher

Land Rover Discovery - Series I -

2 codes:

PO300
PO461

Please help me decipher...and your thoughts.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:44 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Valve adjustment

LandRoverXD, did you get the problem fix? Did you really need a valve adjustment?

or

Anyone, please share some thoughts on valve adjustment if you had it done before. My disco II has a clicking/tapping noise at idling. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Valve Job - Please Advise