Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve spring retainer

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 05:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, now looking again at the picture I took I don't know what it is. the valve train looks good and all springs are tight. I think I should try the oil pump next considering the oil light came on.

Anywho this is what was at the bottom of the oil pan along with a ringlet for a gasket.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Don’t recognize either of those, but I haven’t had this engine pulled apart completely either, so others here may. While the pan is off, look past the crank up to the cam bearings and see if any have walked out. Not as common as a sleeve or oil pump failure, but a couple of guys here have dealt with that I think. That would definitely cause a loss of oil pressure.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:35 PM
4wd Low

k thanx

Old 07-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
Don’t recognize either of those, but I haven’t had this engine pulled apart completely either, so others here may. While the pan is off, look past the crank up to the cam bearings and see if any have walked out. Not as common as a sleeve or oil pump failure, but a couple of guys here have dealt with that I think. That would definitely cause a loss of oil pressure.
Hi Jesse

I am not totally familiar with the Rover V8 but in all honesty I don't recognise those pieces in your photo. If you have the pan off go a bit further and investigate the oil pump if the oil light is showing. IMHO I would take any advice the guys on this site have as they are really familiar with the Rover V8 engine.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If everything looks okay, so far, go ahead and check oil pump. If that looks good, check your oil cooler lines (if you have a model with it) for loss of fluid/pressure. If you don't find anything broken, that piece of metal might be a bit of flashing that broke off the block, possibly around the oil drains in the valley. Can be a bit rough there at times.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

You guys dont know what that ring is???

What's wrong with you.

Think....valve cover.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

?? Guide for the cover, pressed in the head?

Old 07-12-2018, 08:57 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Yeah, the ring looks like it's from a valve cover gasket.
Someone likely had the valve covers and lower intake off, and one of the rings fell through the lifter valley into the oil pan.
The other piece being broken casting is a great guess, and I knocked quite a bit of that out of the lifter valley in my engine, but it has a smooth edge, and looks like steel, not aluminum.
It does not look like part of the oil pump.
The pump can look fine, possibly be broken into pieces(but still held together in the front cover and functioning normally), the low oil pressure would likely come from surface wear, where the gears and cover make contact.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Yeah, the ring looks like it's from a valve cover gasket.
Someone likely had the valve covers and lower intake off, and one of the rings fell through the lifter valley into the oil pan.
The other piece being broken casting is a great guess, and I knocked quite a bit of that out of the lifter valley in my engine, but it has a smooth edge, and looks like steel, not aluminum.
It does not look like part of the oil pump.
The pump can look fine, possibly be broken into pieces(but still held together in the front cover and functioning normally), the low oil pressure would likely come from surface wear, where the gears and cover make contact.
It looks like the little ring in a gasket!!! Yes!!!

Idk what the other piece is, but it could be a piece of the casting I suppose.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:16 AM
4wd Low

Don't forget I went from a random tick to a nice rapping or shallow knocking noise when the oil light came on. Would oil pump failure cause a noise? I would think. Anyway I plan to look at the oil pump since I went this far.

Quick Reply: Valve spring retainer