Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very bad suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very bad suspension issue

Hey Folks,
I have a 1999 Discovery Series II , 7 Passenger.
Recently the rear left side suspension has been sinking to point of bottoming out. Only on the left side. If the vehicle is left turned off, in a matter of minutes the suspension drops to nothing. But when you start it up it will rise to normal height. It will stay that way for approx. 20 mins or so while driving then sink back down( while driving ). Also, I noticed if you start it up and it goes to normal height, If you open a door it will drop, But when you close the door it will go back up. I thought maybe this was a coincidence but it did it over and over as I opened and closed the door.
Another strange thing is, I was forced to drive with it sunk for about 30 mins until I could find a safe place to pull over. I turned it off and let it sit for a minute thinking that when I turned it back on it would resume normal ride height, But it did not. It seems to have to sit for hours turned off before it maybe resets itself or something.
Basically I'm at a loss here. There is only one Land Rover dealer where I'm from and really not any independent mechanics thats have Rover knowledge. I am a little reluctant to take it to the dealer as I'm sure repair costs will be through the roof.
If anyone has some insite as to what could be the problem here, Your help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks and Cheers

Old 01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Very bad suspension issue

I have the same system, send me your number if you want some help with this.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:07 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob, My 99 DII does the same thing (leaking left rear airbag) but mine is not as bad as yours. It takes a few days for it to leak down. Airbags are expensive, I plan on converting mine to coil springs. It will be cheaper, last forever with no problems and anybody with basic mechanical skills can install coil springs. Good luck with the problem.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Replace both Air bags and it will all be ok, If you dont, the compressor will die soon due to running to many long cycles trying to keep a leaking airbag inflated, so a cheap fix doubles in price as you will need a new compressor assy aswell

its an easy DIY task, and retaining the Air suspension is much better than a coil conversion, but each to their own. My write up here :-

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Rear%20Air%20Springs.html

Old 01-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Overlanding

Hey Guys, Great tips and thanks for the advise. Urban Panzer, Your write up is awesome, Looks fairly easy to do. Any idea on cost of a couple of new air springs?.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the commnets ref the write up,

Airbags generally are about $100 each, the dealer will be a lot more expensive. Arnott do bags with a lifetime warranty, although they don't look any different to the Genuine Dunlop ones I fitted and are a little more expensive each

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...id4_pid48.html

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/RKB101200.cfm

Old 01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Do all discovery II have this?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Overlanding

Aside from the "air-springs" there are also shocks in the rear. Is it possible that these may need to be replaced as well? The side that does drop, Really bottoms out if you hit a bump or pot hole in the road. Is it possible that the rear shock is "shot"?

Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Disco SoccerMom

Do all discovery II have this?
No, but its easy to check just look to see if there is springs on the rear or not.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Rover Rob

Aside from the "air-springs" there are also shocks in the rear. Is it possible that these may need to be replaced as well? The side that does drop, Really bottoms out if you hit a bump or pot hole in the road. Is it possible that the rear shock is "shot"?
Not likely, if there is no air in the springs, then any shock new or not will do nothing.

Quick Reply: Very bad suspension issue