Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very loud thud when turning.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM
BMW
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very loud thud when turning.

You don't have to turn the wheel very far to make it happen, pretty much every time I am in a parking situation. Very loud, and only makes the noise once every full hub rotation. Its not like any clunk I have ever heard, shakes the whole car. The first time it happened I got out thinking I had slammed something into a curb. This also started after the truck had been in a river, under water though to get a little water on the floor, and there was alot of wheel spin. I the truck died going up the opposite bank cause I was low on gas, and the rear sunk in and got stuck when I restarted it. Not even sure if that could be related.

Thanks for any advice! 2000 disco, stock. 140k

Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This happens in the front?
Could be a bad shock mount or broken shock or spring.
Suspension shops do free inspections and estimates.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Quit driving it till you have a qualified mechanic check and repair the problem and quit driving on a near empty gas tank, good way to burn up your fuel pump.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM
BMW
Drifting

I would like to re bump this thread with some hopes of getting some advice. I have some updates. The truck has not been driven in 6 months mainly because it wasnt needed but now I want to get this fixed. I do not want to bring it in to a shop, which is why I am posting on here asking for advice. I have always fixed my own cars, which have been BMW's and Audi's but this is unfamiliar for me and also seems to be a strange issue.

It doesnt make and has never make a "clicking" noise such as you would expect from a cv shaft, all of the u-joints on the front driveshaft look and feel fine as far as I can tell but pulling and twisting the driveshaft etc.

When the problem first started, It would only make a "bang" noise like described in my OP when turning, now it makes more of a clunk and does it even when driving strait down the road. I have not driven it over 20 mph so I have no info on how it acts at high speeds, but I would imagine its not pretty.

Another note, when I first purchased the truck, I brought it to Expedition Autowerks (landrovers mainly) and they suggested a used front diff due to a slight low humming noise when driving at highway speeds caused by the bearing. I have not done this yet, but I wouldnt think it is related.

Also, at the same time after getting stuck in the river, the power steering system started leaking everywhere. The steering box is covered in fluid, so so there is a possibility that it could be an issue related to the steering system.

Right now the car is on jack stands with the fron wheel removed and the brakes and I cannot find anything loose or out of place in the suspension, the springs are not broken, the struts/balljoints/tierods are not leaking any grease or fluid and look ok.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much,

Sam

Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your Rover have ACE?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 PM
BMW
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Quit driving it till you have a qualified mechanic check and repair the problem and quit driving on a near empty gas tank, good way to burn up your fuel pump.
I am not driving the vehicle anymore, but I would much prefer to fix this myself with the help of forum members here. Also, I definitely do not make a habit of driving on an empty tank, in this situation I was fishing in a shallow river and had the bright idea (not) to try and drive across the river. I would very much love some advice from you on this issue as it seems you are one of if not the most qualified person on here to be giving advice!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM
BMW
Drifting

Originally Posted by bballjames
Does your Rover have ACE?
Yes it does have ACE, sorry I should have included that.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 PM
BMW
Drifting

Also with regards to the PS fluid leak, the ACE fluid level does not seem to be going down, but when I fill up the PS fluid reservoir it all leaks out.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 PM
BMW
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
This happens in the front?
Could be a bad shock mount or broken shock or spring.
Suspension shops do free inspections and estimates.
Shocks and springs look good, shock tower looks good as far as I can tell but im not sure what to look for exactly, can these break and need to be re-welded?

Also I have seen some info online about a possible spacer on the front frame that can sometimes need to be welded, but I had trouble finding pictures and more info on this. The truck was pulled out of the river with the winch attached to the rear hooks by the trailer hitch fyi.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 PM
BMW
Drifting

I felt is necessary to further reiterate the symptoms in a clearer fashion.

The truck was stuck with just the rear axle underwater, I spun the tires and turned the wheel trying to get unstuck for a short while, did not do any rocking between D and R. I did use low range for part of it. The truck was pulled out backwards and left on the bank overnight and gas was brought to it in the morning.
When first starting it the next day the power steering was whining right away, but was intermittent. A few days later when turning sharp at low speeds I heard a loud "bang" noise and the truck felt like it maybe even skipped a little bit. This was the kind of noise that attracted everyone's attention in the parking lot. It was parked and then driven a few days later and would still make the loud noise but if you didn't turn sharp it drove normal. A short time later it started making a much less noticeable but still prominent "loose clunk" type of noise. I parked it immediately after that and have not driven it since. The power steering noise went away if I added fluid but it would eventually all leak out and start whining again.

I hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Very loud thud when turning.