Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration Remains '03 SE7

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcatfans
Shaft was balanced at the only place in Dayton that does shaft balancing. It is no different after the balancing than before.

-aaron 2003 se7 104,000 miles.

well mabye they did not do it correctly,nobodys perfectif you have access to another drive shaft pop it in and see if the vibration goes away.if it is only vibrating from 70-75 and you dont feel it in the steering wheel the it is one of three things so rule everything out one by one,#1 the front drive shaft#2 the rear wheels are out of balance or#3 the rear drive shaft is out of balance or the rotoflex is no good.i would start with the front drive shaft easy way to check is get it up to speed and when the vibration starts look at the pass side front seat if u see it shaking when the truck is vibrating then the front drive shaft is your culpret

Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Drifting

I'm in the same boat as bearcat almost to a T. On my '04 I have a vibration from 70-75 and feel it through the seats bigtime... I haven't replaced the rotoflex but have inspected it and seems to be in good nick. I'm stumped too, any help is greatly appreciated!

Weren't there some issues with the transfer case output flanges?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Stay at 70 MPH or less, hell, you'll save money on better gas mileage.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am on the original front drive-shaft (and i do grease the rear joints), and mine growls at 75+ mph too. It doesn't shake or shimmy, it's kinda like a "rummm rummm rummm" noise. Is that the same noise yours makes? I drive at 65mph max most of the time, so I don't hear that noise too often.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:17 AM
Mudding

I'd replace the roto-flex. Mine didn't look bad until I pulled it out and was able to look at it on the bench. I had the same vibration but at a lower speed 60-65. They go bad slowly so its hard to notice at first then they gradually get worse. Is it a manual or automatic transmission? I have a manual and get a slight hum or low freq vibration from the transmission when I run that fast.

Last edited by jbriggs; 04-25-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:29 AM
4wd Low

I am experiencing almost the identical isue w/ my 00. I bought it w/ a bad tranny that had been damaged by the PO having the driveshaft come apart. There was also a bit of play in the transfer case output shaft. I picked up a low mileage tranny and transfer case along w/ a new front driveshaft. Vibration right at 70-75. It definately feels like tire balance except maybe a little higher frequency if that is possible. I bought new tires and had an alignment and the vibration is still there. I bought my driveshaft from Land Rover Service out of San Antonio and have not taken it back off to have the balance checked locally here in St Louis. I am going to try and do that this week. Please continue to post results as I am going nuts also.

Steve

Old 05-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Mudding

I think I'm going to to replace the rear rotoflex and see what happens. I'll let you know.

-aaron
2003 SE7

Old 05-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of tires do you guys have? The PO said that he used to get some vibs and loud noises and stuff like that, (he never replaced the DS, I did it myself), but he said it was the tires, mich. and when he switched over to yokos, all that stuff went away... Geolanders to be exact and they were cheaper from what he said. My truck drives great, I NEVER push it that hard though, i drive like an old man, 70-75 TOPS... I have my bike for that kinda stuff.

That is just my 2 cents fellas, I hope everyone is having a great Friday, I'm getting ready to leave work and see what kind of trouble I can get into with my 2nd wife (Disco)...

Take care,

Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Mudding

Well, the new rotoflex kit went in today. Getting the bushing out of the end of the rear shaft is next to impossible! Anyway, the low, rumbling vibration is still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have a rebuilt and balanced front shaft, two new front hub assemblies, a new rear rotoflex and bushing AND STILL A VIBRATION OVER 75 mph. I am frustrated.

-aaron
2003 SE7 114,000 miles

Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Drifting

I recently replaced my rotorflex and still have the same vibration, it seems a little better but still very noticable. My next thing to do is to pull the rear drive shaft and take it in for a balance.

What kind of tires is everyone running? I've got Toyo Proxes 255/55/18 and the balanced has been checked and spot on....

Quick Reply: Vibration Remains '03 SE7