Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration. Tried everything, Real Puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Afirover and IDAHODISCO.

according to work shop the Pinion is fine but will do a try and error on the position of the rear d shaft so......... will change the position of the DS and go arround the block and see if iīts better or worse and move from there.

As for the Rear out put falange of the T Case ... Sounds as if it could be the source of vibratrion , acually thats exactly were I feel the vibration. Any body Know were I can buy these Falange ??? will try rover parts and rover connection. I dont think I should buy a new T Case right ??? It is shifting fine Low and High.

As for tires Afirover ... what solved your vibration when decelerating? did you have to replace the rear tyres all together? Is there any way to make shure that Itīs the tires other than Balance?

I Inherited this truck from My grand father and all I know is that he Loved it but absolutely No records or Papers what so ever. Just a very bad cigar smell and a lot of pictures.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll tell you that my experience with Toyo tires is terrible. These trucks tend to wear unevenly on the insides of the tires. Make sure to check for even wear on the insides. If you are getting close to new tires, might just throw a new set on before you start tearing into the diffs. You can always keep the old tires as spares, or sell them.

And yes, you have to replace all 4 tires at the same time or you will have the axles going at different speeds. Not good...

Old 02-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Just wondering if it were the tires It would be a constant vibration or can it be Intermitent or Just when decelerating like my case...

Well I guess I should replace them , nothing else seemed to work I was thinking on Buying some 275 , 65 , 18 Ive read that Unless i Go to extreem 4x4 they should be Fine and make for a smoother ride. Is this correct ?

Thanks again OK DISCOGUY.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Camel Trophy

Should be all of the time if it is tires. I was just throwing in my $.02 about the tires...

Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Mudding

its not a tire vibration, its a driveline vibration decelerating from about 80. I have the same thing. I had the same thing in the defender (at lower speeds obviously). It took quite a bit to work it out. It ended up being a bad pilot bearing after doing the clutch. I know this is not the case in the disco, but if he is feeling the same thing as me, it is driveline for sure. Its not major, just enough to go "I hope everything is ok under there". I know that sounds and feelings may come from different spots than you think they are. You might check the front shaft. Thats what I'm trying this weekend as this is a new truck to me. It is a common problem I hear.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Mudding

edit....I see you replaced the front shaft.

Have you clocked them all?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Three Wheeling

I also think itīs a Drive Line Thing. I did a free wheel spin test and the whole thing started vibrating real bad.. My mechanick said itīs normal .. both Drive Shafts vibrated but mostly the front of the rear drive shaft were it coups with the Transfer Case. Iīm Also looking a the diferentials with some suspition but Im really tired of guessing. Iīs very expensive specially In Mexico.

Mike Mentioned in another forum something about the diferential Mountīs ( didnt even know they existed ) probably worth to Check.

Actually what Iīm Looking for is a check List.

Hopefully I could take it to my Mechanic and do a complete check on everything.
The thing is L Rovers are such a rare sight that mechanics dont have to Much experience and say " well it LOOKS FINE " so mabe i Overlooked something.

I know it is a lot to ask but perhaps someone can List the Number of Things that could be causing this and chek thing by thing. I would really apreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Old 02-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Camel Trophy

Ok, this is going out on a limb, and I am not even sure if you have the same set-up. The rear drive shaft is connected to what looks like a brake drum. It is the parking brake. If you drop the rear shaft, you expose a phillips screw that holds the drum on there. When I re-built my shafts, I noticed that screw was a little loose, so I tightened it down. I did my shafts, and when it was all back together, I had a vibration. I re-balanced the shafts, and I know they were clocked right because I was very careful about marking them. Then I remembered the screw. I dropped the rear shaft, and found that dust from the parking brake had fallen where the drum secures to the transfer case, causing it to be a little off kilter. I pulled the drum, cleaned everything and buttoned it back up.

The vibration was gone.

If you pulled your rear shaft, it is something to check that isn't too difficult.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Sorry for the confusion okdiscoguy. Actually Im not that mechanical and am working with a Shop that by Now is as confused as I am.. But still learning. Actually I was checking the Rear out put Falange on the T Case .... Is that the screw you are talking about ? it was very tight.

Im taking everything apart tomorrow starting with the Parking Breake. both D Shafts. actually I was thinking of doing a test with Both Drive shafts Off and see if something vibrates on the Tranny or T Case. If not Ill put one d Shaft in at a Time and do the same vibration check to rule out Pice at a Time.

I think that these vibration is caused by a very Minor thing , Probably a ascrew inside the t Case or Parking breake like you said.

On another test wille driving at 20 MPH I pulled ( Just a Little ) the parking breake and could feel a lot more vibration ( same rithm and frecuency ) so Im kind off centering on that area tomorrow.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Drifting

im no expert here but i heard of a "similar" case before (not on a LR) and they tried everything but nothing worked. that is until they checked and replaced the suspension and springs. ran smoothly after that. again, im no expert. hope you fix your problem. i also hate that feeling of knowing theres sumthing wrong with my truck but cant find what it is.

Quick Reply: Vibration. Tried everything, Real Puzzle