Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration. Tried everything, Real Puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering in the T Case or Diff could cause these Vibratión?????

I still have that ()=/&/ vibratión after checking EVERYTHING again and also New Tires shocks and springs. car is a LOT smoother now and am thinking of forgetting about it and enjoy the Grand Fathers car. Im not really mechanical but really hate the Idea of riding a car that is not perfect or at least in good condition seems like some kind of curse from my grand Father... I can see him laughing at me with his cigar.
I will never sell the car Do.. I also have a couple of old Jaguars and other cars that I like to Keep in tip Top cond but before I send my Life Time Mechanic to the shrink mabe ( Like we say in Mexico ) I should stop lookink for ***** on the Ants *** and Live with it.

Thanks for All your Help.

Just wondering in the T Case or Diff could cause these Vibratión?????

Old 02-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you said that you re-balanced your front ds but your prob sounds alot like the one I had after replacing my ds with a Tom Woods... I sent it back to them, had it balanced again and now the vibration is gone. It was vibrating at around 75- 80 mph as I was accelerating or decelerating. Tom told me to put it into neutral when the vibrations began to see if it stoped... it did not for me so I was told it was the shaft but maybe someone else can chime in as to what the actual purpose was or if it could help you. Hope you figure it out!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Rock Crawling

I just found out what was cousing mine to vibrate a bent wheel!! on the rear it make my stering wheel vibrate!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Nope ... Not a bent wheel or Drive Shafts shocks Rotoflex or Tyres. ... checked again , actually I took My Truck to a diferent Shop and not mentioned what I´ve done so they would check everything again.. And they Did , Actually I thought i had done something wrong or missed something but NOPE everything seems fine..

The only Hint is that when I changed My Rotoflex; Vibration happened at 70 MPH instead of doing it at 80 MPH.

Could it be the Transfer Case?????? Anyone Please..????

Old 03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think we are just as stumped as you are.
Can you test drive another Disco and see if it does the same thing?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Could be hard to drive another Disco.
Seems I found a work shop specialized in 4x4 drive Lines in a local 4x4 Forum. Talked with him on the phone and seems there is something I overlooked or repaired wrong.
He thinks ( without Looking at the truck ) that the problem is originated in The Transfer Case. "something about centrifugal forces forcing a change in the Rear Drive Shaft Angle" Something to Advanced for my amateur ears.
But Ill keep You Posted.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi There.

Havent found the source of the vibration but have a couple of more simptoms that could possibly give you more info.

1- Grinding noise when accelerating hard from a STOP.
2.- Vibration when decelarating is only at 75 MPH now.
3.- At 80 Milles it does a Humming Noise that comes from the middle of the Truck.
4.- Seems to do it more when turning ( right and Left )

Hope Mike could give us some ponters.

I Have found what seems to be a decent and serious shop and starting to take it apart on Monday so any pointers would be really good at these point.

Im centrering on Transfer case and Differentialls now.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Might have an output bearing going out in your transfer case. See if you can put it on a lift and free wheel it to 80 on the lift. It is a little dangerous, but you can pinpoint your vibration and hum...

Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks OKDISCO GUY ..... Done that... it´s pretty hard to pinpoint the vibratión since it vibrates a lot harder when it´s on a Lift but I can clearly see it vibrating form the rear output falange of the T Case all the way back to the Differential , Specially on the Parking Breake area. But I have taken the Brake apart 2 times and it´s Not It...or at least thats what shop told me
I checked the out put bearing of the T Case on the other shop .. But will do so again next week ... sounds like the next logical step to Me as well .......

I can get a T Case new for less than 500 down here ( Used ) but just want to make shure it´s the T Case First.

My disco is a 2003... Any 03 04 T case will do right... or should I try a 2004 since I believe it has a center diff lock Right?

Ill Keep You Posted ... Thanks great weekend.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:06 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds to me that your problem is somewhere in the transfer case. I don't know if it's something internal or a bearing or what but definitely in the t-case. A 2004 t-case will bolt right in in place of your original case and does have CDL. You'd have to hook up a linkage to engage the CDL from inside the vehicle or climb underneath with your wrench to lock and unlock it. I would consider changing your fluid in the t-case paying close attention for metal shavings. A lot of shavings will indicate and internal problem with the t-case. When did you last check the fluid level in your t-case?

Quick Reply: Vibration. Tried everything, Real Puzzle