Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viscous Fan Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
Thanks guys trying to help here. I was following Chubbs's advice from last night, orderd the Hayden clutch and just got a word from Paul he is going to ship me one blade. I am all set now. hope this was my overheating problem. I used an after market complete fan it's possible that was the problem. the truck only overheats when AC is on and long distance. I have checked, flushed with new coolant, checked the AC fan you name it. All now point to this cheap fan

Thank you Shady Milkman (love the name!) for the offer.

may not be your problem, but nevertheless make sure the condenser fan turns on. It has parameters set in the ECU for when it is to be activated, but doesn't always hold 100 percent true. If its over 85-90 degrees ambient, the vehicle is up to operating temp (around 200 F) and the AC is turned on high for 15 mins, the AUX fan should turn on. If not, see if the blades will spin manually and check connection

Old 05-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's what i was working on yesterday. I tested the fan by connecting directly works great, fuses are fine. My original fan was wobbling little and decided to replace last year. Since I don't drive the truck long distance it was not a problem. Now I look back my problem have been since the fan replacement. I was looking at everything.

Let me replace the fan as you suggested. Then do some driving around to see if the electric fan comes on. I have checked in the past and it does come on. cooling areas (radiators) are very clean as well. coolant circulate well. replaced water pump, belts.
Thanks again for your help

Old 05-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Pro Wrench

That's what i was working on yesterday. I tested the fan by connecting directly works great, fuses are fine. My original fan was wobbling little and decided to replace last year. Since I don't drive the truck long distance it was not a problem. Now I look back my problem have been since the fan replacement. I was looking at everything.

Let me replace the fan as you suggested. Then do some driving around to see if the electric fan comes on. I have checked in the past and it does come on. cooling areas (radiators) are very clean as well. coolant circulate well. replaced water pump, belts.
Thanks again for your help
ok good luck. and you should have a 180 degree thermostat on there too, if you don't already. The factory Tstat runs the engine too hot.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Rock Crawling

That's what I have. it's 3 year old. i may replace in few weeks.

Do you know Dusty in Dallas? he helped me few times great guy.

Appreciate your advice.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Pro Wrench

That's what I have. it's 3 year old. i may replace in few weeks.

Do you know Dusty in Dallas? he helped me few times great guy.

Appreciate your advice.
I have met Dusty. he let me borrow some specialty tools to replace my ball joints last year. VERY knowledgeable and generous. nothing but good things to say so I believe you

Old 05-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks guys trying to help here. I was following Chubbs's advice from last night, orderd the Hayden clutch and just got a word from Paul he is going to ship me one blade. I am all set now. hope this was my overheating problem. I used an after market complete fan it's possible that was the problem. the truck only overheats when AC is on and long distance. I have checked, flushed with new coolant, checked the AC fan you name it. All now point to this cheap fan

Thank you Shady Milkman (love the name!) for the offer.
No problem sir!

Good luck with the cooling issue. I did the same thing with the 99-02 fan and Hayden 2991 fan clutch and it helped tremendously. My idle before that would get up to 212 now it stays at 199...204 with the AC on. I also installed the 180 tstat before that which brought me down 10-12 degrees along with fresh peak coolant and some water wetter. I've always wondered why Land Rover decided to make these things run so damn hot, it's crazy to me.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by shady milkman
No problem sir!

Good luck with the cooling issue. I did the same thing with the 99-02 fan and Hayden 2991 fan clutch and it helped tremendously. My idle before that would get up to 212 now it stays at 199...204 with the AC on. I also installed the 180 tstat before that which brought me down 10-12 degrees along with fresh peak coolant and some water wetter. I've always wondered why Land Rover decided to make these things run so damn hot, it's crazy to me.

and that shi**y excuse for a block? what do they call it? an "epidemic" of failed engines.
I drive mine to work everyday in Dallas traffic so I decided to do the inline-thermostat conversion a while back before summer got here. Installed it Sunday night and its impressive. From what I can tell so far, the heat-soak is also alleviated when operating temps are in the 180s

Old 05-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Rock Crawling

do you have a good write up or pic for the inline conversion? i have been thinking about it for a while. may be it's time to mess with that.

I have to redo my Valve cover gasket. hopefully all these overheat issue i have not blown head gasket.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Rock Crawling

anyone has experience using Water Wetter, Purple Ice or the new B&G Super Cool or any additional cooling products?

Old 05-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Pro Wrench

do you have a good write up or pic for the inline conversion? i have been thinking about it for a while. may be it's time to mess with that.

I have to redo my Valve cover gasket. hopefully all these overheat issue i have not blown head gasket.
https://chazzlayne.com/inline-thermostat/
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...tat-mod-32216/
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...install-78393/

I can try to get a few pictures tonight if I get home before dark. there are more than a few write-ups on this board...that's what I used. I think CAPPEDUP is 1 of the users with a post on it. it works great though, my temps are 20 degrees lower now. You have to use a lot of hose clamps though. I forgot to tighten one and it wasn't pretty. If you find time to do a search you will find the directions and parts list. I got everything at Amazon with a 1-stop-shop, arrived in 2 days.

Last edited by chubbs878; 05-03-2016 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Viscous Fan Clutch