Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water ingress

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Water ingress

Hi all, had my D2 out in the rain for the first time in my ownership and we’ve got some water coming in! There are 3 main places of concern:
1) The center of the windshield where the dash meets it, I could feel air blowing through and know that the windshield install is shoddy.
2) Water was dripping down in the passenger B pillar and running down the seatbelt on to my wife (not endearing her to the Land Rover...)
3) Way back in the headliner on the passenger side above the rear storage box

On the outside of the truck at the top of the passenger side of the windshield I can clearly see how water would be able to get inside and I’ve been educating myself on how to fix that. Any ideas you have have to add would be welcome, however my main concern is the water in the back, anyone ever experience that? Could the water be coming in and making it all the way back?

Old 09-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

The water coming down the seatbelts means you’ve got some clogged sunroof drains or the piece that connects to the drain hose has broken. Time to pull that headliner.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

As an alternative can I just seal the sunroof and take out the fuse so it can’t open? I feel like that would make my life a lot easier seeing as how I don’t need to open them and pulling the headliner seems like a huge PITA.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by greisinb
As an alternative can I just seal the sunroof and take out the fuse so it can’t open? I feel like that would make my life a lot easier seeing as how I don’t need to open them and pulling the headliner seems like a huge PITA.
The problem is that the sunroof is technically a depression in the roof, so water will just pool there. You may be able to blow out the drains with compressed air without removing your headliner, but your motors are probably toast. Doesn't sound like an issue for you.

The leak in the rear is almost certainly your alpine windows, btw.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:54 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi all, had my D2 out in the rain for the first time in my ownership and we’ve got some water coming in! There are 3 main places of concern:
1) The center of the windshield where the dash meets it, I could feel air blowing through and know that the windshield install is shoddy.
2) Water was dripping down in the passenger B pillar and running down the seatbelt on to my wife (not endearing her to the Land Rover...)

On the outside of the truck at the top of the passenger side of the windshield I can clearly see how water would be able to get inside and I’ve been educating myself on how to fix that. Any ideas you have have to add would be welcome, however my main concern is the water in the back, anyone ever experience that? Could the water be coming in and making it all the way back?
On my 03 when I bought it there was an existing crappy windshield replacement. Leaked water and ended up getting the BCU wet. Had it replaced for a heated one and resync'd the BCU (the Odometer started to flash). Watch the exterior pillar trim pieces they get broken easily.

My Alpine window was leaking on one side. I resealed them and no leaks since then.

I had my headliner redone and as a part of that sealed the sunroofs from the outside and unplugged the switches.

We have had some pretty heavy rain lately and no water that I've notice making its way in.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I was up on a ladder so I could get a clear look at the alpine windows and and sunroofs. I can see some small but very clear gaps. I’ve made the decision to reseal the alpine window and to seal up the sunroof and remove the fuse, the front, leaking one doesn’t open anyway- motor is probably shot. The truck lives outside and the rainy season is very much on its way here is western Washington so I’m making it a priority.

I started the job today, not going to lie, it doesn’t look spectacular but I think it will get the job done. Ultimately between the roof top tent, rack, and vehicle height very few people are ever going to see it so I’m ok with it.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have a link to an official Land Rover bulletin on this issue?

Old 12-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts
Old 12-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Thanks.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

Got these same leaks. I'm not to keen to removing the headliner either so I am going to try my luck at using compressed air to blow out the drain tubes this weekend.

Quick Reply: Water ingress