Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leak

Where are the typical water leak trouble spots on a Disco II?

I have water on the passenger side floorboards, both front and back, near the side of the vehicle (ie near the doors). Looks like it has been going on for some time. Noticeable water damage on the underside of both floormats, again on the outer edge. Appears to be worse on the front mat.

Thanks for any help, Bob

Old 09-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Water Leak

Well either you have bad door seals or the A/C drains are clogged and it settled and then ran along the lower part of the floor.
Clean your A/C drains. They are under the truck next to the transmission bell housing. Then dry out the floor and carpet and go to a automatic car wash with a passenger and see if water comes in the bottoms of the doors.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the advice, Spike.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

Your welcome, let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Three Wheeling

OK, so I crawled under the truck and looked at the a/c drains. Pulled the end off of each one of them (the pointed / slotted piece that I suppose is there to prevent anything from crawling up the drain). Got some water out of the passenger side when I did this, but not a great flood. Got nothing out of the driver's side. So I am encouraged but not convinced. If that was the problem, shouldn't I have expected more water out of one of these drains?

Also, is it advisable to just leave the ends off of these drains? Seems to me they just collect crud and plug up, whereas leaving a larger opening would be less likely to cause plugging?

Next step, once I get the truck dried out, is to try the car wash as Spike mentioned. Gonna pull the passenger seat to make it easier to dry the carpet, don't want any mold to grow. Any watch-outs for pulling the seat? Looks to me like it's four bolts, two plugs, and the seat belt .... but nothing is that easy on this car, right?

Thanks,

Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Team Owner

If the A/C drains were causing the water you should have gotten drenched by one of them.
I would leave the nipples off them, but thats just me.
I wouldnt mess with the seatbelt where it attaches to the floor, it is gas charged and can kill you if it goes off.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Roger that ... I took the seat belt loose from the seat, just one simple bolt. Seat came out as expected, only moderate swearing and no smashed fingers. Although - note to anyone else who does this - that framework on the underside of the seat is SHARP. Have SRS light on now I assume from disconnecting seat ("smart" airbag sensor?) Will run thru car wash before I put all that back together... thankfully no mold yet. Wet underneath all the way to the tranny tunnel in the passenger footwell.

I read something elsewhere online about water coming in through the fresh air ducting in the event of a heavy downpour, which we had here in Chicago three weeks ago. Anyone know anything about this as a potential cause?

Thanks,

Old 09-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

A really heavy down pour I suppose could cause that, but I doubt it. They have drains built in under the hood where the fresh air comes in. I suppose that if the truck sits outside and the drains were clogged with leaves or other debris that could cause the water to not drain as fast and that could happen then.
Open the hood and run the garden hose along the base of the windshield where the cowling is, the water should drain as fast as you put it in. It will come out somewhere under the truck between the firewall and the fenders. One drain on each side. It works kinda like a downspout on your house.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Could clogged sun roof drains on a Discovery cause flooding? My moms Jetta had clogged sun roof drains and it flooded like Bobs.

Willie

Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

Yes clogged sunroof drains could cause water ingress.

Quick Reply: Water Leak