Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leaking

So I searched and read all the other posts regarding leaks and sealing and windshields, but thought I would still ask.

Recently after heavy rain, while making a sharp right turn, I thought I saw some water drops coming from above. So I am driving along, feeling all over for anything wet. Nothing. So I make another right turn and see it again. I notice it's coming from the top of the windshield where it is meeting the liner, just to the left of the center console that has the sunroof controls. I notice that this spot, maybe a half inch long running along the windshield is a little bit damp and even a little decayed.

So clearly I have some leakage. What would be my next step? Seal? New windshield. Any help would be much appreciated. I have only noticed this on two occasions but would like to get it taken care of early if possible.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Water Leaking

i would imagine it being either a windsheild seal or a sunroof seal.

the windshield seal can be taken out and replaced at a windsheild and glass shop i would imagine, but the sunroof seal i think is a headache,,,

Old 11-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Overlanding

Thanks. Is this a job that needs to be professionally done or something I can do at home.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Rock Crawling

I had the same problem a while back. It's likely the windshield seal, if you take the corner finishers off either side you'll see what a crappy job they do at the factory...this is a common leak. Take the exterior finishers off either side (3 quick plastic fasteners inside the upper door jam and a good hard yank). Get yourself some blackpermatex, start at the top corner of the windshield and work your way down filling in the gaps. You'll likely see right away how water can get in there. You may want to use a high pressure hose or air gun to clean the area out before you start. Took me about 40 minutes and $3. If you've got headliner stains, just get some distilled water and dab the spots out, it'll look like new.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Drifting

This exact thing happened to me. It was my sunroof seal not sitting on the track properly. Ruined my radio and garage door opener.