Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump gasket spray sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Water pump gasket spray sealant?

I saw where it's recommended I spray the WP gasket with something like Permatex Spray Gasket Sealant so it tacks to the pump or the cover vertically while the pump is bolted on. 3 stores did not carry the blue spray can. I can go to a 4th tomorrow but what else are you using to tack the gasket on to hold in place?

This is what I was looking for. I did not go to o'reilly yet.
http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.orei...ct=un_jtt_iosV

Last edited by jamieb; 02-19-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I use the Copper spray on darn near everything. Very tacky and I do not have leaks on installs.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:49 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Personally I use a thin layer of black RTV on everything.

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
I use the Copper spray on darn near everything. Very tacky and I do not have leaks on installs.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

There's more than one way to make it work. Personally, I like the Permatex products and I have good results using their specific water pump and thermostat housing gasket maker. It comes in an appropriate size tube. It is an RTV silicone ideal for coolant resistance (not so good for oil or fuel).

I do not use paper gaskets. The only kind of paper gasket that I would consider would be something like the lube-locker gaskets where the paper is simply a holder for the elastomer seal. If it's just nothing more than cellulose fiber, I'd ditch it and use The Right Stuff, or a gasket-maker even more ideally suited to the application.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Permatex Spray Gasket Sealant
PN 80060 is the non-aerosol version.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:09 PM
Winching

Ok, so now I have a dilemma. It shipped with a paper gasket. If that's not the best, then something like that permatex water pump gasket maker in the tube is good stuff all by itself? Thanks for the tips.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I checked out water pump gaskets on amazon, but none tell you the material they are made of.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by binvanna
There's more than one way to make it work. Personally, I like the Permatex products and I have good results using their specific water pump and thermostat housing gasket maker. It comes in an appropriate size tube. It is an RTV silicone ideal for coolant resistance (not so good for oil or fuel).

I do not use paper gaskets. The only kind of paper gasket that I would consider would be something like the lube-locker gaskets where the paper is simply a holder for the elastomer seal. If it's just nothing more than cellulose fiber, I'd ditch it and use The Right Stuff, or a gasket-maker even more ideally suited to the application.
Just got 2 tubes of this. Good to go

Old 02-19-2016, 06:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieb
Ok, so now I have a dilemma. It shipped with a paper gasket. If that's not the best, then something like that permatex water pump gasket maker in the tube is good stuff all by itself? Thanks for the tips.
RTV & gasket makers may work but are normally unnecessary and added steps/time. Good for missing or torn gaskets to prevent delays and generally overused. Your idea to use the spray non-curing adhesive or non-aerosol version is more than adequate.

Disregard.

Last edited by number9; 02-19-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by number9
RTV & gasket makers may work but are normally unnecessary and added steps/time. Good for missing or torn gaskets to prevent delays and generally overused. Your idea to use the spray non-curing adhesive or non-aerosol version is more than adequate.

Disregard.
Liquids need 24 hrs to cure. Are you saying use spray gasket maker on paper gasket and run with that?

Or is the spray gasket maker meant to just spray it on the metal pump and use it by itself?

This gasket decision is my last obstacle. I have a paper gasket on hand and a parts store up the road. What should I do for a gasket?

Thanks!

Last edited by jamieb; 02-19-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Water pump gasket spray sealant?