Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water wade death

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Water wade death

So you want to know how well a LR hold up in a accident.
https://landroverforums.com/m_74273/tm.htmLook at the pics in this post.
http://www.iihs.org/default.htmlAlso check out this link.
The bad about owning a LR, you MUST use premium gas, if you dont your MPG will suffer HUGE and you will be asking for problems.
You MUST have the front driveshaft rebuilt with greaseable u-joints after yoiu buy it, and I mean like the next day. If you dont and it break you will be buyuing a new transmission at a tune of $7000.
These trucks ARE better than Jeeps, but what do you expect froma LR forum?
They weigh 6,000 lbs and are full time four wheel drive, NOT all wheel drive like a Subaru and not part time four wheel drive like a Jeep.
The 7 pass version...the last two seats are suited to kids, not adults.
These are great trucks and will last a long time if you take care of it.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to make a point out of Spike555's comment, I've seen many Rovers at the 300,000+ mile mark still going strong, even after hard beatings on or off road. Disco's can and will take almost anything you can throw at them as long as you're willing to take care of them (IE premium gas, and regular maintenances). Don't be fooled by anyone who tells you otherwise, a Rover really is the best 4x4xfar

Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im paraphrasing someone's signature line here but it is SO true : a land rover is like a super model, sure they have expensive taste and are finiky but DAMN...

in regards to your question: i am an idiot and i do stupid things to my and with my rover on a frighteningly regular basis and as long as you are willing to pony up for premium fuel and follow ALL of discomikes advice to the letter you will LOVE your rover!
i knoiw i would not trade mine for the world (although i would literally kill to have a defender 90....)

my regards and apologizies to whomever is the originator of my plagerized and paraphrased line..

pilsner
2000 disco II 131K and counting
ft lewis WA

anybody tell me how to get the keys to my rover back from my wife so i dont hafta be embarassed by driving her toyota to work anymore?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Come on, who in there right mind wouldn't want to take a Defender 90 out to play? I once had a chance to buy a Defender 90 for a very good price back when I was young and stupid(er). I passed on it because I didn't know much about them and wanted to be like my friends who all drove full-size pickups. I put more money into that full-size pickup then what I could have bought the Defender for and it wouldn't go half the places.

Back to the topic of the thread. The Discovery is an incredibly safe vehicle. I actually get a vehicle safety discount on my insurance for my 97 Disco 1. I have seen the aftermath of Rovers involved in accidents and they always win (short of tangling with a semi-truck of course).

Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Team Owner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIKu1UDoa6s
Watch this.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I just noticed the title of this thread is "water wade death" instead of depth. I have suffered a water wade death. My old 85 gmc with the 6.2 diesel. Out screwing around and got a little too fast and too deep so the bow wake broke over the hood. First time I ever saw S-shaped connecting rods. Just thought it was a funny title that I somehow missed before. My gmc had a 4" lift and 33" tires so the hood sat about 5 feet off the ground. That should give you an idea of how deep I was and how big the wave was.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: pilsner
anybody tell me how to get the keys to my rover back from my wife so i dont hafta be embarassed by driving her toyota to work anymore?
Easy, trade in the Yota keys for a set of Rover keys on the way home from work.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did i mention that my pistol also lives in my rover - thus making the 'buy a rover on way home from work' ploy risky. very risky - she shoots better than i do!

next idea? btw way i like the way you think i just wanna live to drive my rover so more

2000 disco II 130k and counting
ft lewis WA

Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm afraid I'm gonna have Pilsner's problem when I purchase a rover. I'm buying a Disco to replace the 20 year old Honda that I'm currently driving, and my wife is already asking if I'm gonna let her borrow it sometimes. Hmmmm. Doesn't look good.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

You guys just need to get up ealier than her.

Quick Reply: Water wade death