Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird noise...ughh..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:08 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise...ughh..

Ok, sooo a friend and I had a little adventure last night : ) and well.. we had some fun in the mud and so afterwards, I was smart and washed the engine and the brakes and the undercarriage, but now the engine makes a low just ugly noise when it revs between 1000 and 1700... once it goes over or under that, it sounds just fine! ... I wish I knew how to explain the noise, it just... well, you can feel it in the pedals and its consistant if you keep it reved at that RPM. I don't know what to do... any advise would be great... Thanks!

John-Robert

[IMG]local://upfiles/4998/A231EE0E94444B958590710DF7C7C692.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4998/C8499083D8BE47D9BDEDC35A6AC8E27E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4998/2E1218C76A514CEAB2652B805EE2E83A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: weird noise...ughh..

Clean the engine and transmission mounting areasagain. Check for mud/something between the engine/transmission and the rest of the vehicle.

If that doesn't work you probably have a bad motor mount.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Drifting

When my friend got the same problem with his Jetta and brought it to a mechanic he was tod that he have a broken VW motor mount and that needs to be replaced... So my suggestion is to check your motor mount... By the way, How many miles on the truck, how often you you lube the u-joints? Do you have a roto flex on your rear axle, is it cracked? Because a roto flex is a black rubber connector that connects the rear drive shaft to the rear axle. They have a tendency to crack and split. Take a good look and see what condition it is in... Good luck!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Look inside your crank pulley and make sure you don't have a clump of mud lodged in there. Could be throwing off your balance big time...

Old 05-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Mudding

First off... I am incompetent when it comes to maintence... I try, but I'm just not good at it..

there are now currently almost 42,000 miles on it.. I've had that noise since around 35-36,000 miles...

I have no idea what a crank pulley... :S

Shes in the shop getting some work done because she is still leaning!!!!.. and she is leaking some oil.. I think it was because I didn't tighten something tight enough when i did my own oil change.. :S

She also makes the noise when the AC is on.. well, the noise is constant with the AC... and you hear it more once you rev up...(with out w/o the AC on)

I'll call the dealership tomorrow morning and ask them to check the motor mounts. Speaking of U-joints... I had them "serviced" at the dealership, and they could only service the rear ones.... is that correct????

Thank you!.. I know this one is long! Sorry!

John-Robert

Old 05-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: kylle08

When my friend got the same problem with his Jetta and brought it to a mechanic he was tod that he have a broken VW motor mount and that needs to be replaced... So my suggestion is to check your motor mount... By the way, How many miles on the truck, how often you you lube the u-joints? Do you have a roto flex on your rear axle, is it cracked? Because a roto flex is a black rubber connector that connects the rear drive shaft to the rear axle. They have a tendency to crack and split. Take a good look and see what condition it is in... Good luck!!!
You really can't use a Jetta experience when trying to help someone with a Disco. Discos motor mounts don't make noise unless you were to actually break all 3 and then your engine would be thrashing around inside the engine compartment.

Mike

Old 05-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Camel Trophy

The crankshaft pulley is the largest pulley on the bottom frontof the motor. It is right below the fan/water pump.It has a harmonic balancer attached to it that dampens any vibrations in the engine. It is attached to the crankshaft. If there is anything causing it to be unbalanced, you will get vibrations and cause harmonics at different RPM. If it is at the dealer, I am sure they will check this, but mention it to them just in case.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Mudding

I definitely will! Thanks!

Any advice for anything else on my previous reply??

Thanks!

John-Robert

Old 05-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Camel Trophy

not really. On the oil... find out where it is coming from. Hard to diagnose a noise. Try to listen closely and see where it is coming from.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: johnnybob06

First off... I am incompetent when it comes to maintence... I try, but I'm just not good at it..

there are now currently almost 42,000 miles on it.. I've had that noise since around 35-36,000 miles...

I have no idea what a crank pulley... :S

Shes in the shop getting some work done because she is still leaning!!!!.. and she is leaking some oil.. I think it was because I didn't tighten something tight enough when i did my own oil change.. :S

She also makes the noise when the AC is on.. well, the noise is constant with the AC... and you hear it more once you rev up...(with out w/o the AC on)

I'll call the dealership tomorrow morning and ask them to check the motor mounts. Speaking of U-joints... I had them "serviced" at the dealership, and they could only service the rear ones.... is that correct????

Thank you!.. I know this one is long! Sorry!

John-Robert
With regards to your var's noice concerning your AC, I would suspect that you have an overcharged one. Inspect also for possible loose compressor or mounting bolts.

Quick Reply: weird noise...ughh..